Author Topic: Teflon super glue bottle tips  (Read 1832 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Teflon super glue bottle tips
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:27:10 AM »
Anyone ever use those Teflon tubes you can insert into super glue bottles?  I remember a while back at a show some vendor had something like this. They would squeeze glue out of the tip and spray it with accelerator and then just pick off the cured glue with fingers. The idea was the tip never got clogged.

I buy ACC in 16oz bottles and I'm going through like 4-5-6- tips suing it up. I'm sort of getting tired of it and looking for something better.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: Teflon super glue bottle tips
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
holy ***** yes.  I hate using CA because I use it so rarely and I know I'll end up wasting most of it because the tip will clog or the bottle will go 'stale'.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:46:54 PM »
holy ***** yes.  I hate using CA because I use it so rarely and I know I'll end up wasting most of it because the tip will clog or the bottle will go 'stale'.

Solution to that is to buy the smallest quantities possible.  Sealed, CA glue will last many years.  I know that it is more expensive to buy it in small quantities, but there is a lot less waste.

You can buy the regular CA in 5-packs of tiny metal tubes.  They are sealed and stay fresh until you open them.
When I need different viscosity (I often use the extra thin stuff), I just buy the smallest available bottles.  That way If it hardens before the bottle is used up, I only wasted a small amount.  Again, the bottles start off sealed, so you can buy few and open them as-needed.

Clogged tip should be the least of your problems. I just drill the hardened glue clogging the tip using a small drill bit.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:48:33 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »
Here is what I do. Buy the big 16oz bottle and keep it in the fridge, keep refilling 1oz bottles half way with it. So far no problems with that at all.

Now the tip of the smaller bottle gets all gummed up. 3 or 4 times I scrape the tip down with a knife to knock off all the hard glue, tip still works. After the 3 or 4 scrapings the tip is pretty much whittled down and I have to change out the tip.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370800494750?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1596wt_1362

The 16oz bottle isn't empty yet and I've already been through 5 new tips. I'm looking for tips or some sort of applicator container that glue won't stick to.  :)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »

Clogged tip should be the least of your problems. I just drill the hardened glue clogging the tip using a small drill bit.

Thanks, Pete, for reminding me about using a drill bit, something I forgot about ages ago.

Hmm... I prefer to use
dynamite...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
I just ordered 15 more $0.65cent tips, that should last me a few weeks :trollface:

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
FWIW, here are my CA preferences. I use no tips, big bottles, or special dispensers; I have little to no trouble with the existing dispensers on these products--if a tube should clog, I simply drive a straight pin down the tip.

My #1 go-to CA of choice 99% of the time is LocTite Professional Super Glue, by far the best all-around CA I've found. I go through on average a bottle every two weeks.

When I'm assembling wood, then I'll switch to Krazy Glue brush-on, a brilliant product design that works perfectly. I'll also use it when I need to target hard-to-reach spaces where fine control is required.

On the very rare occasion I need super-thin CA--which is increasingly rare these days--I'll use a tube of dollar-store stuff. Like Peteski, I find it quite cost-effective: at $0.25 per tube (4 for a buck), tossing it out if it goes bad before it's gone is not heartbreaking.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:06:54 PM by David K. Smith »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
I didn't even know CA was available in a 16oz bottle!   :o

Besides the ones mentioned by DKS, I also like the Loctite "Gel Control" bottle.  The tip doesn't get clogged nearly as easily, because once you release pressure the tip gets sucked dry... right back into the bottle.   I find it lasts a little longer on the bench for me.  Otherwise I stick to the cheap, little tubes.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »
They now have multi-packs of very small tubes of CA...probably 1/3 the size of the standard smallish tube of CA and it seems like there were 10 or 12 in the pack.  (may not be a new packaging approach, but new to me)  Seems like a good solution, even if not a cheap one.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
They now have multi-packs of very small tubes of CA...probably 1/3 the size of the standard smallish tube of CA and it seems like there were 10 or 12 in the pack.  (may not be a new packaging approach, but new to me)  Seems like a good solution, even if not a cheap one.

I have seen packages of "one time use" tiny tubes of CA. But to me that is a bit too small.  The slightly bigger tubes shown in DKS, photos seem like an optimal solution to me (price-wise and in the amount of glue per tube).  That's what I use.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 02:58:06 PM »
I've used Loctite without problems, in fact I think all super glue works pretty much the same. The idea of buying a big bottle and re-filling the smaller ones was because I'm tired of running to the store every month to buy a new 1oz bottle. Also the 16oz bottle is $35 and to buy 16 1oz bottles would be $80, I'm a cheap a$$.

I use the stuff for everything and I hit it with accelerator (2 big bottles on deck) so I don't have to wait. If I glue a joint with wood glue I hit it with ACC so I can keep working on the parts. Sometimes I do the same with MEK, glue 2 parts and then hit it with ACC and keep working.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
Chris,  you're a real super-glue junkie!   :D
I also mostly use CA glue, but in much lesser quantities.   It is my favorite adhesive.
. . . 42 . . .