Author Topic: Lowering IMRC F unit shells (again)?  (Read 1758 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
Lowering IMRC F unit shells (again)?
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:23:16 AM »
I know this has been covered, but all my searches come up with inactive links. Does anyone have instructions for lowering the shells on the IMRC F units?
Thanks in advance,
Clint

cgw277

• Respect: +1
Re: Lowering IMRC F unit shells (again)?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:23:27 AM »
I have not tried to lower the shells, but if I remember the thread correctly it was suggested to remove detail around the coupler box.There was some detail  that made the shell ride to high. If it was removed the shell could be lowered. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's been awhile since I read the original thread.
Scot

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1034
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
I remember the discussion being around screws on top of the chassis, and that if recessed further the shell would sit properly, but I could be wrong.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +390
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
Yeah, on the FT anyway, you substitute NWSL #1203-5 Panhead screws to lower the shell.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
Thanks guys. At least I know what to look for. I really like these locos and pics I have seen with the shell lowered makes the look even better.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:24 PM »
If Sizemore checks in, he has the information you're looking for, regarding lowering IM F units.

DFF

EDIT: Found it!  Here's the page that will provide links with photos and instructions on lowering IM F units: http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?96233-N-Scale-Lowering-Intermountain-F7-Carbody-and-Coupler-Height-Adjustment-Sizemore
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:51:57 PM by davefoxx »

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »
I lowered mine, and also semi-permanently coupled them at the correct distance.  IIRC, it required major surgery to get down to the correct 14-scale-foot (?) height.  It's not just a screw or coupler change.  Even then, the shells are held in place by friction and gravity at the moment. 

Looking at my IMR F7s, the process included:
1)  Grinding a recess in the bottom of the shell under the end doors for the "coupler mounting pads" at each end.  These pads are attached to the frame, and are extensions of the end spacers between the 2 frame sides.  The pads need to be sunk slightly into the structure under the end doors, and it needs to be done precisely, as this is what determines the final height at each end.  The weight of the shell is supported on these countersunk pads.  If you grind too far, you can glue in a small sliver of plastic and try again. 
2)  Lowering the fuel tank assembly closer to the railhead.  This requires the side clips on the tank assembly to be clipped off, so that it can be lowered, and spacers to be inserted inside the tanks to keep them at a fixed distance from the protruding fuel tank portion of the metal frame.  The whole thing needs to be held in place somehow; I drilled and tapped into the bottom of the frame for a single flat-head screw.  Be sure to keep metal fragments out of the mechanism when you do this. 
3)  On "A" units, you need to cut away parts of the green cab detail assembly, as it otherwise keeps the shell on that end from being lowered sufficiently. 
4)  There may need to be some trimming of plastic "catches" inside the shell itself, although I no longer remember whether this is needed. 

The final product should be checked with some sort of gauge capable of measuring the height above the railhead (at *both* ends); I used this:

Mark
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:38:53 PM by mark.hinds »

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 12:14:49 AM »
Dave found it! Didn't know Flash carved it in digital stone for all the internet, pretty cool.

It's pretty easy, the photos show all the dirty work. The shell clips are like Kato, just add Plastruct to make new clips. The only problem is that the Red Caboose coupler pockets (not the couplers) aren't made anymore. You could use MT 1015 boxes but Delrin is a bear to file and clean up. I hope to revisit finishing the fleet once DKS couplers become available.

*Edit* Looking at the dates...that was 8 years ago! Wow. And GD I sounded like a dumbass.

:trollface:
The S.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:36:50 AM by sizemore »

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
One warning WRT Sizemore's thread referenced by the link above is that this thread contains several posts by a gentleman who claims that the IMR F units are OK because the prototype body height was 15 feet.  While this may be true if measuring to the tops of air horns, the height from railhead to the top of the curved carbody is 14 feet for an FT and 14 feet 1/2 inch (slightly higher) for an F3 or F7.  My reference for this data is the MR Locomotive Cyclopedia (vol 2) dimensioned drawings. 

From the same source, inter-unit coupling distance was 3 feet.  Image shows my non-operating semi-permanent coupling installation. 

Mark
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:23:12 PM by mark.hinds »

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »
One warning WRT Sizemore's thread referenced by the link above is that this thread contains several posts by a gentleman who claims that the IMR F units are OK because the prototype body height was 15 feet.  While this may be true if measuring to the tops of air horns, the height from railhead to the top of the curved carbody is 14 feet for an FT and 14 feet 1/2 inch (slightly higher) for an F3 or F7.  My reference for this data is the MR Locomotive Cyclopedia (vol 2) dimensioned drawings. 

From the same source, inter-unit coupling distance was 3 feet.  Image shows my non-operating semi-permanent coupling installation. 

Mark

Am I the only one who noticed the raccoon?
- Christian J. Davis

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
I saw the raccoon.. that can only mean that the locomotive has been rewired. They love the old cambric wire insulation on these engines, I never thought it tasted particularly good.

Randy Stahl

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:22:23 AM »
I have some Red Caboose/Uni-mate coupler boxes. If you want some, PM me.
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:47:15 AM »
I don't know - that raccoon looks to be Z scale to me.  Maybe it was undernourished.... :trollface:
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »
I don't know. Those rails appear to be 500lb rail, making that Racoon about 24" tall when seated as shown in the photo. That's a big @$$ raccoon!

The S.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
I don't know. Those rails appear to be 500lb rail, making that Racoon about 24" tall when seated as shown in the photo. That's a big @$$ raccoon!

The S.

Um, you do have a point.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon