Author Topic: Would Somebody PLEEEEZE Make These?  (Read 6742 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Would Somebody PLEEEEZE Make These?
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »
Would someone with the ability to design Shapeways stuff or has the ability to cast please consider doing these re-railers?  I don't have the ability to do either so I'm pleading to the list.  There is currently nothing out there that matches these and virtually all locos have them.

Doug

prdave

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: Would Somebody PLEEEEZE Make These?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
RLW's online catalog show these as available;
https://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/show_item.php?ID=57
-Dave

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »
It was  agreat loss to the hobby when Sunrise went out of business.

They had a rerailer exactly like the first photo.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Miniatures by Eric.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »
http://miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00345.htm
http://miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00344.htm

Pretty close.

The S.

The first one, the NR2 is close but no cigar.  The second one, the NR1, is too fuzzy to actually tell what it looks like but IIRC, it isn't the same.  Again, close but no cigar.  Somebody just has to step up and get them made either by a process like Shapeways or one of the casting processes.  If I could, I would.

Doug

Jamesn320

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • James' Train Parts
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »
Hi Doug,

It looks like Chris333 & sizemore hit the nail on the head with the stuff from Miniatures by Eric but if that still is not what you are looking for I can draw them and get them on Shapeways for you.

You can contact me through a Railwire message or my blog www.jamestrainparts.wordpress.com

-James

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
You can have a real one if you like.

Only about $1,000.

http://www.rrtoolsnsolutions.com/trackAccessories/Rerailer.asp

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
By the way.....

Not that it matters since this is one of the rarest N scale items.
You can do a google or yahoo search to your heart's content, and probably won't find a photo....

But the ultra-rare Sunrise part number is:

N-800  Rerail Frog

And it looks EXACTLY like that photo.

You are correct.  If someone would make a fairly decent one on shapeways or somewhere else, I bet it would sell.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
You are correct.  If someone would make a fairly decent one on shapeways or somewhere else, I bet it would sell.

$5 flat fee will kill sales, unless you want 2,000 of them or you bundle it with something else to make it worth the value.   

I'm working on an "Ultimate City Details" bundle that will have dozens of various random detail items all in one kit.  Maybe I can add this too. 

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
If someone would make a fairly decent one on shapeways or somewhere else,

You probably could not get a decent enough one on Shapeways.  The process resolution simply isn't good enough for small N scale detail parts.  I suspect that the parts would also be pretty fragile.   You can find higher-resolution 3D printing, but it is probably an order of magnitude more costly.

I bet it would sell.

N-scale aftermarket details are a niche within a niche.  The market simply doesn't have the volume to support any kind of ROI.   I would love to be proved wrong about that, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.   In the meantime, you can either learn to scratchbuild, or switch to HO...   :facepalm:

Ed
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:47:02 PM by ednadolski »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »
If someone would make a fairly decent one on shapeways or somewhere else, I bet it would sell.

Yes. One or two, perhaps.

N-scale aftermarket details are a niche within a niche.  The market simply doesn't have the volume to support any kind of ROI...  In the meantime, you can either learn to scratchbuild, or switch to HO...

This.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
And just about when somebody made them, the loco mfgrs would decide it was time to include rerailing frogs on their loco details.

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »
You probably could not get a decent enough one on Shapeways.  The process resolution simply isn't good enough for small N scale detail parts.  I suspect that the parts would also be pretty fragile.   You can find higher-resolution 3D printing, but it is probably an order of magnitude more costly.

N-scale aftermarket details are a niche within a niche.  The market simply doesn't have the volume to support any kind of ROI.   I would love to be proved wrong about that, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.   In the meantime, you can either learn to scratchbuild, or switch to HO...   :facepalm:

Ed

OK, it sounds like Shapeways is out as a possibility and there's no way in hell I'm switching to HO so how about an alternative casting process such as styrene or resin or metal?  I know virtually nothing about casting but on the surface, it doesn't seem it would be that hard.  Once the master is built, wouldn't it be just a matter of making a mold and doing the casting?  If someone who still has a Sunrise rerailer would be kind enough to lend it out to create a master that would work.  The other one would have to be done from scratch but there are certainly some good modellers on this list who could craft one I'm sure.

Yes. One or two, perhaps.

I don't believe that for a minute.  Every locomotive out there has at least one of these on it.  Anyone who wants to be even reasonably accurate would want some.

We've heard from the nay-sayers. Now let's hear from those who think it is possible.

Doug

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
I know virtually nothing about casting but on the surface, it doesn't seem it would be that hard.  Once the master is built, wouldn't it be just a matter of making a mold and doing the casting?

Yes, it sounds easy, but doing it well gets involved.

If someone who still has a Sunrise rerailer would be kind enough to lend it out to create a master that would work.

Technically, that would, I believe, be a "no-no"....  ;)

The other one would have to be done from scratch but there are certainly some good modellers on this list who could craft one I'm sure.

Other peoples labor is easy to take for granted.  :D

Now let's hear from those who think it is possible.

Of course it is possible.   The only question is, what are you willing to pay for it?   Producing good parts takes a lot of time and dedicated effort.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:49:37 PM by ednadolski »