Author Topic: A Baldwin DT6-6-2000 in N scale  (Read 19190 times)

Jamesn320

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • James' Train Parts
A Baldwin DT6-6-2000 in N scale
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
Hi all,

When I joined Railwire it was because a few of you had been talking about my up and coming project, the Baldwin DT6-6-2000, and asked me to let you know when it was done, well it is almost there.  Yes it's the same as up1950s kitbash but I didn't want to trample on his thread.

Some of you may ask what is it? Well its one of these....

(The two images above are from http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/)

It’s a twin engined transfer locomotive designed to move strings of freight cars form one local yard to another. And here is mine, well the 3D model anyway.

I have designed it to fit over an Atlas C-628 chassis; I think the C-630 will also work, Spookshow's N scale guide says they are the same so it must be true .

It has also be designed so that no physical modifications to the chassis are required, which is nice. The only thing you need to do is to rotate the trucks. The DT6-6-2000 has asymmetric trucks, as does the C-628 but the other way around. This is a simple matter of loosening the two chassis screws so the trucks fall out and putting them back in the other way around.

I have also drawn replacement trucks side frames that should, fingers crossed, slip onto the chassis trucks using the same fixing lugs.

A fellow modeler has also made cast resin side frames for the DT6-6-2000 so you can use those also. I will post a link later.

As with my DD35 I have included handrails but they are a bit on the large side due to the printing limitations with round wire, actually Shapeways can print smaller round wire they just don’t because it is too easily damaged in shipping and that cost them. The handrails have been designed with fixing lugs and matching holes in the shell which makes them easy to install, but should you wish to use brass wire or similar the mounting holes simply need to be drilled through and they can be used as guides.

And, a first for me, I have included an engineer for the cab. (If you don’t want him you can always cut him out.) He is on a separate cab section so he can be painted before installing. He looks fantastic through the windows!

Any way the test print has been ordered and this morning I received confirmation that it has gone to print (First time, I’m definitely getting good at this). I am expecting delivery around the 17th of May.

There is more about this project on my bog if you are interested and I will share the pictures with you when it turns up.

Again as with my DD35 there will be dummy version available and a replacement chassis and trucks for the C-628 so the shell won’t go to waste.

-James
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:30:12 AM by Jamesn320 »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: A Baldwin DT6-6-2000 in N scale
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »
Dude - once you get your print, you need to go grab the transfer loco bash thread (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=32330.0) by the horns.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »
Would you be willing to put your side frames up for sale as a separate item?  I'm know DOZENS of people who want to put them under my AS16s, myself included!

Jamesn320

• Crew
    • James' Train Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
Would you be willing to put your side frames up for sale as a separate item?  I'm know DOZENS of people who want to put them under my AS16s, myself included!

Yep happy to, once the test print comes back and I have checked they work I will make them available.  Does your AS16 use the C-628 trucks as well?

-James

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
Printed engine crews are totally phat!!!

Frank

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
Don't worry about my thread , post there if you want . Let us know of continued progress and how much . I want that beauty .

Richie Dost

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
Good to see the progress, James. And yes, the commonwealth trucks would indeed be interesting for us also!

Marc

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
I am guessing this is the same shell I found on Shapeways a few days ago.  I was disappointed to see it listed (at that time) as "not for sale."  Hope your samples turn out well.  This would be a real conversation piece on a layout.  Will be very interested in one if you make these available. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »
I gotta say, that illustration looks real cool, I'm hoping it turns out as good as it looks there.
I’m not here to argue

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
Man I wish I had a place where I could justify such an unit... B (

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is beautiful!....any chance of you drawing it w/o the handrails and stanchions?...so that we can add our own?
This will look great transferring cars from Argentine and back!
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
This would be a great FVM product.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Jamesn320

• Crew
    • James' Train Parts
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, this is the shell you saw on Shapeways the other day and once I get my test print back all is okay I will let you have at it!  As for the handrails, they are separately applied details, helps with painting.  I have included locating holes witch can also be used as a guide for making your own rails from wire etc.

-James

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »
Great looking model James. Unfortunately not the one I am looking for. I am after the PRR variant which were the RT-624 and the LS-25 I must admit it does look impressive.
Regards

Al
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:05:24 AM by Alwyn Cutmore »
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
A couple things:

First, I have found that if you print the whole thing at once, the ends of the frame tend to bow in one direction or another.

Then, printing the whole thing as one solid piece is going to make painting difficult.

And, the kicker, all the overhanging details are going to cause print artifacts.

As much as I want this, I'm going to have to pass due to these considerations.  That said, I would like a few pairs of the truck sideframes  :ashat: :ashat: :ashat:

Great looking model James. Unfortunately not the one I am looking for. I am after the PRR variant which were the RT-624 and the LS-25 I must admit it does look impressive.
Regards

Al

Still plugging away at the Lima; I'm experimenting with etched hood doors and also printing a mechanism at the right length.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com