Author Topic: Trailer Striping: Paint or decals?  (Read 963 times)

Super_G

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
Trailer Striping: Paint or decals?
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:36:18 PM »
To all of y'all who know a whole lot more about scratch building, how would I go about making the vertical metal bands on the sides of the Triple Crown Roadrailers? Here is one for an example.

TCSZ 467005 RoadRailer EB

Would using Microscale striping decals work, or would a whole lot of masking and painting the stripes be better?

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
Re: Trailer Striping: Paint or decals?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 01:52:57 AM »
+1
If I was doing it 20 years ago, I'd use graphic striping tape.  Today, I doubt that anyone even makes the stuff. 

I think I'd go with decals.  Much easier to get them all the same width, and totally avoids "bleed-under".
N Kalanaga
Be well

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:47:51 PM »
I used a fine tip chrome/silver Sharpie

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:01:07 AM »
+4
I think it depends on what model you're starting with.  I used a silver Sharpie and a straightedge to paint the braces and trim on this Deluxe Schneider trailer way back when:

The key is to stick to surfaces that stand off from the walls of the trailer so the Sharpie doesn't bleed.  Practice first, if possible.  It's also important to seal the ink afterwards otherwise it will wear off with handling.  Just be sure to avoid alcohol based finish coats, like Dullcote, since they will dissolve the ink and make a huge mess.  I used Microscale flat finish and it has held up well for over 10 years.

If you're starting with a smooth side trailer (since the Deluxe trailers are no longer available) and you just want to simulate the bracing, decal stripes would be a good way to go.  That's what I used on the lock rods of the above trailer, for example.

As it happens, I have a few of the Deluxe trailers left over from a "scratch & dent" set they used to sell and I'm looking to do some ex-Triple Crown trailers like this:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5207964

I first need to source some ghosted Triple Crown decals though.  (I'm also planning to bash the spine car in the above photo using an N Scale Kits set as a starter. So many projects...  :facepalm:)

Super_G

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »
So many projects...  :facepalm: )

Amen to that... I am planning on making my own Roadrailers here soon, either 3D printed or out of styrene, and I was planning on going with the more modern style of trailers with the smooth sides. It sounds like decals may be the way to go then.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 06:49:45 AM »
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 07:50:02 AM »
Gary,

That Schneider trailer looks incredible!  You did a fantastic job on that!

Scott

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 02:46:38 PM »
Thanks Scott.  And @James Costello, thanks for the tip about SVM - I was not aware of them.  Now that I'm getting the spine fleet in service, I have a bunch of unmarked Trainworx utility trailers and old DI Platewall trailers I'd like to get done in various ways.  The more decal sources, the better!