Author Topic: Micro Spikes  (Read 1870 times)

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
Micro Spikes
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
Has anyone used Micro Engineering's "Micro Spikes" part #30-108 to hand lay code 55 track? I was wondering if the head of the spike is small enough to not interfere with c55 compatible engines and cars.

I am thinking about hand laying my track in New London yard because I will be making my own #5 switches from Fast Tracks.

Jon

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
Re: Micro Spikes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:36:23 PM »
If you want to make sure your spikes will work, you should take a look at the Proto:87 Stores website (www.proto87.com) where chemically milled spikes are available that probably are the best looking, most scale spikes available.  You can use either the "true scale" spike, or slightly longer ones, or ones that are "long", but the spikeheads are near scale size.  There is one fret that is nickel silver, but the others are etched stainless and are both sharp and strong.

Take a look here for HO scale spikes:   http://www.proto87.com/product1908.html

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »
I know this thread has not been touched for 7 seven years, but I add to it anyway  :facepalm:

@central.vermont, did you ever use the ME Micro spikes, or any of the Proto:87 Store spikes as suggested by @robert3985? I am planning to (maybe) build a scene with handlaid 2ft (On2) gauge track. Code 70 rail, which I happen to have at hand, seems to be the best fit for the prototype rail in question, and I need to decide wich spikes to use with that. It needs to be a compromise between prototype likeness and usability, as usual.
Lennart

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:57:21 PM »
P87 also has "oversized" stainless steel spikes that are targeted for O scale.   Some folks on the P:48 FB page are using them.

http://www.proto87.com/product1908.html

(Not sure that link helps.... that website is a bear to find anything, even if you know exactly what you are looking for.)

Ed

svedblen

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:33:00 AM »
@ednadolski, thanks. I have seen those and the "long" O-scale spikes are about the same length (0.180") as the ME Micro spikes (3/16"). The best thing is probably to order a pack of each and try them out  :)

I did a quick test with ME Short spikes and some ME Code 70 rail, both which I had at hand. Looks like this:

Lennart

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:08:50 AM »
Agreed, the ME spikes do look a bit heavy in the pic, tho paint+weathering could help substantially with that.

I think the (oversize) P87 spikes should work fine too.  As long as you have good ties (like the sugar pine) and avoid exposure to large temperature & humidity swings (tho that's true for most spiking (and gluing) scenarios).

PS - Nice paint/texture on those ties!  8)

Ed

svedblen

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
PS - Nice paint/texture on those ties!  8)

Thanks. Old "leftovers".

EDIT: Just ordered some long "O-scale" spikes from the Proto:87 Stores.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:46:12 PM by svedblen »
Lennart