Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/4/14  (Read 8724 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Weekend Update 5/4/14
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
As far as I know, it's for head end power to power the lights and AC/heat in the coaches.

No, they have at least one power car - UPP209, "Howard Fogg" - for that.

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
One comment, on my part, regarding UP's use of diesel power with their steam trains. The last time that 844 was in El Paso, I talked to the engineer or as he called himself "Engineman" regarding the diesel. His initials are E.D. and his comment to me was that the FRA required the diesel helper on any class I mainline. The reason they quote is they do not want a steamer breaking down and causing a disruption of commerce by blocking a mainline.

Sort of computes, the government screwing up something. Oh well it was the SP heritage unit on this trip, so it was cool.

I'll take the steamer anyway they want to send it. You can pretty much guess a model railroaders age by what type of power they have. I am 74 and steam is in my blood. Like diesels too. Just like trains.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1252
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
Been on the road all weekend, finally paid off.

More to come.

Oh man...!!  At Taggarts!  Wish I coulda made the chase on Tuesday.  Thanks for that shot!!   :D

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
Wow Mark, looks like a REALLY WELL done model, in front of a photo backdrop....
Nice !
Thanks, Otto K.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »
Wow Mark, looks like a REALLY WELL done model, in front of a photo backdrop....
Nice !
Thanks, Otto K.

Yeah....I thought it was a model at first too.....in which case I was going to bash my layout with a baseball bat and then take up knitting. :P

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:04 AM »
Very funny Russ....please don't take up knitting though  :lol:
Otto

parkrrrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »
One comment, on my part, regarding UP's use of diesel power with their steam trains. The last time that 844 was in El Paso, I talked to the engineer or as he called himself "Engineman" regarding the diesel. His initials are E.D. and his comment to me was that the FRA required the diesel helper on any class I mainline.

If that's true, it can't be universally true, because the picture that started this discussion was obviously taken on the NS Chicago Line in Goshen, Indiana. It doesn't get much more Class I Mainline than that.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
If that's true, it can't be universally true, because the picture that started this discussion was obviously taken on the NS Chicago Line in Goshen, Indiana. It doesn't get much more Class I Mainline than that.

It's about as class one as you can, that's definite.

On a side note, when 765 left Monday morning to head to Chicago they did leave with a diesel in tow, so for whatever reason NS let it run by itself that weekend. I'm not complaing though.  :D
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:16 AM »
I doubt that the FRA cares if a train breaks down, as long as there are no injuries or property damage.  It would be the railroad that wanted to make sure the line wasn't blocked.
N Kalanaga
Be well

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I've heard my share of "excuses" from RR'ers attributing crap to gov't agencies or regulations that either aren't true or are a stretch. I'd be interested in a straight answer. Since I have a passing acquaintance (UPHS meetings) with a couple of the now-retired chiefs of the UP steam program, I might ask one or both next time I see them. They are real quick these days to rat-out the RR for nonsense in their past, so I'm sure to get an entertaining answer. I'm sure Steve Lee especially would have a couple of words about this since the policy was changed during his tenure.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 05:07:33 AM »
My guess would be marketing.  When it comes down to it, that is the reason they sink millions of dollars into the program.

A picture of a black steam locomotive is just that -- a really cool steam locomotive.  Us foamers take for granted how readily we make the connection between the little name on the tender or the colors on the business cars and the railroad that's paying for all that (Hell, speaking as a railroader, I can tell you that a sizeable piece of the population just sees it all as "The Railroad" and doesn't even know there are seperate companies involved in it all).  But slap a nice, clean Union Pacific engine behind it and now you've made a mental connection with the general populace between the steam engine and the company operating it, paying for it, and the one whose locomotive you see all the time.  Bracket it with a diesel on each end of the steam locomotive, you've made them impossible to ignore and and you've all but guaranteed one will be in every shot and newsreel.

It surely isn't any FRA reason.  They don't care about blocking a mainline if it died on line.  If they did, they'd institute requirements for HP/ton to ensure trains could still run in case of a power failure, or keep us from putting out the absolute garbage that we are on the rails right now that we're lucky to get running at all, let alone well, because of power shortages all over the place.  Any issue related to power, whether diesel or locomotive, is going to be cleared up in a matter of minutes or hours if it's really blocking interstate commerce; nothing the FRA is going to concern themselves with.  If any organization was going to concern themselves with the free movement of interstate commerce it's the STB (see their latest requirements that BNSF and CP provide weekly service updates to the federal government due to incredibly poor on-time service the past several months), and even they wouldn't give a hoot about something so small as an engine failing on line.  It's not as if it can't just be moved out of the way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:14:06 AM by Hyperion »
-Mark