Author Topic: It's not the decoder but  (Read 1100 times)

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
It's not the decoder but
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
I've installed TCS CN GP decoders in N Life Like C424 and been very happy with the ease of install and the improvement in my soldering skills. My problem is in handling a chassis I dropped it and then it would only run at 100 % in one direction with the corresponding light on. It would not respond to throttle commands or attempting to change the address. Thinking the decoder was damaged in the fall I replaced it and still have the same problem. Both the connections at the motor are clear of the frame and have kapton tape to provide insulation. Any thoughts on what might be the problem would be appreciated.

Hugh M

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
Re: It's not the decoder but
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
Sounds like a motor lead is contacting the frame. Take it apart (again) and verify that everything is isolated as it's supposed to be. I suspect the motor was jarred in the fall and has shifted position.

woodchip

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:32:04 AM »
Solved    It seems the TCS CN series of decoders must have good contact on both the front and rear sections. In my case the fall to the floor must have opened up one of the slots the board goes into and one of the contact pads was not contacting the frame, problem solved and thank you for your help

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »
 Oooo... glad you found it. Thanks for getting back with us. Yes, the CN decoders depend on frame contact front and back, with no separate wires between them for power source.