Author Topic: Bind in Kato Mikado  (Read 1494 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Bind in Kato Mikado
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »
One more major discovery.
The frame, along the bottom edge, right between the drivers, was squeezed or bent slightly together.
This has probably been a major source of the trouble all along.  When I had it apart,
I notice that the gap between the split frame halves got really narrow toward the front, and comparing this
to another Mikado, I confirmed that that just isn't right.   I inserted a .030" shim to keep the bottom frames
spread properly, and the improvement was tremendous.  Every bit of slow-down or bind disappeared.

Surprisingly, there is no support between the frames along the bottom edge.  I would have thought there
would be a built-in plastic spacer as a standard part, but I suppose Kato was relying on the fact that the frame is
pretty rigid and tough.

Just another thing to remember about split-frame engines...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:53:19 PM by mmagliaro »

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1853
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bind in Kato Mikado
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »

Surprisingly, there is no support between the frames along the bottom edge.  I would have thought there
would be a built-in plastic spacer as a standard part, but I suppose Kato was relying on the fact that the frame is
pretty rigid and tough.

Just another thing to remember about split-frame engines...

Yeah, if one customarily drops their engines on cement floor, this is an important thing to remember.  :D
Otherwise, this should never happen.
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon