Author Topic: Killashandra - Irish Nn3  (Read 92487 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8569
Re: Killashandra - Irish Nn3
« Reply #675 on: March 16, 2023, 03:53:40 PM »
+5
This is good to see.

It's good to see DKS post again too! I think I speak for the entire TRW brain trust on this one...such as it is.  :ashat:

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #676 on: April 06, 2023, 07:31:08 PM »
+9
When you throw money at something, that’s supposed to make it better, right?

Well, we’ll see about that.

The roster is getting a boost in the form of some proper models of Cavan & Leitrim Railway rolling stock.
I found this person‘s stuff while looking for something else on Google images a few weeks ago.
Only reason I had never found them until now is because the shapeways files aren’t listed to be search-friendly.

What I bought:
3-pack of C&L standard open wagons
2-pack of C&L open-top cattle wagons
A C&L (ex Cork, Black Rock & Passage) brake van

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

They’ll need some modifications. The axle-box details are not designed for wheelsets, so I’ll have to remove the printed detailing below the bodies and fall back to modifiying Märklin Z-scale wagon chassis instead.

But, at last I have some prototypical C&L rolling stock.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8569
« Reply #677 on: April 06, 2023, 08:10:30 PM »
+1
Great find!

That's already more Irish narrow gauge rolling stock in one shot than I've ever seen in my life, so that's a thing, LOL...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #678 on: April 06, 2023, 08:31:20 PM »
Those look good Cody!  Funny how to me they look like a ghost-train!
Any chance you could contact the designer and ask them to add the axle cups to accommodate functional wheels?
Or maybe just drill through the existing axle boxes for wheelset axle ends, then just glue small thin pieces of styrene on the outside of the boxes to hide the hole?  The cups do not have to be conical (just ask Athearn). Either method would be likely less expensive or labor-intensive than lopping off the existing ones and replacing them with some generic Z scale frames. Plus they would look more accurate.
. . . 42 . . .

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #679 on: April 06, 2023, 09:06:34 PM »
+1
Those look good Cody!  Funny how to me they look like a ghost-train!
Any chance you could contact the designer and ask them to add the axle cups to accommodate functional wheels?
Or maybe just drill through the existing axle boxes for wheelset axle ends, then just glue small thin pieces of styrene on the outside of the boxes to hide the hole?  The cups do not have to be conical (just ask Athearn). Either method would be likely less expensive or labor-intensive than lopping off the existing ones and replacing them with some generic Z scale frames. Plus they would look more accurate.

I get the feeling that these 2mm scale prints are just scaled down versions of larger scale designs. On some of the models the brake details are in the wrong place, or missing entirely, plus the actual handbrake levers are very chunky.

I’ll have to take a crack at drilling out the axle boxes as you suggest. The only issue I foresee is the holes not being in alignment, leading to the axles potentially sitting unevenly.

Oddly enough, I checked the positioning of the axle boxes on the model against one of my Märklin Z scale ballast hopper chassis that I have been using under my Peco wagons and they sit at the same height. Only thing I’d need to adjust is the wheelbase.

I’m going to take a crack at getting one of the cattle wagons rolling first and see how that goes. That’ll tell me how best to proceed with the rest of them.
Tired.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #680 on: April 06, 2023, 09:25:45 PM »
Sounds like a plan!
. . . 42 . . .

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #681 on: April 26, 2023, 07:43:39 PM »
+9
I had the layout running at the AC N Scale Gathering over the weekend. It was nice to get the layout back out to a show again. I had one of the new cattle wagons in the train, running on a Märklin chassis as the wheelsets wouldn’t fit the 3D printed chassis. After painting them, I think I’m going to reorder the cattle wagons at a higher resolution. Some of the details are lost on these prints.

Tired.