Author Topic: TrainLife  (Read 2999 times)

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
Re: TrainLife
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
I don't buy that... I was maintaining a large website (the Passenger Car Photo Index) back when I was still working full-time and accomplished a great deal with my spare time.  And as each new update was being put together there was always measurable progress... which is not happening with TrainLife.  There does not appear to be any indicator that anything has been restored since the site first went down and that is sad.  The website was a great resource and there was measurable progress as they steadily worked at improving it... now its like nothing at all is being done and nothing has been done in quite a while.

I do hope I am wrong about TrainLife... I do want them to be able to get the site back up so that we all can enjoy the many magazine articles that once was there... I just am not optimistic any more.  I have watched a number of great websites disappear over the life of the Index and have seen how they end up as the sites went down and then disappeared.

Maybe I mentioned it because I know one of the people.........

~ Matt

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
James,
I could not find any email addresses on their site. Did you use this form?
http://www.trainlife.com/help/contact
Mark

IIRC, yes.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
Maybe I mentioned it because I know one of the people.........

Ah, I see!!!

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
It's is disappointing that such a VALUABLE resource continues to be unusable for any reason. I do hope that they eventually fix their problems and get things straightened out soon (I'm still willing to help...).
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »
They are not answering emails.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
I don't buy that... I was maintaining a large website (the Passenger Car Photo Index) back when I was still working full-time and accomplished a great deal with my spare time.  And as each new update was being put together there was always measurable progress... which is not happening with TrainLife.  There does not appear to be any indicator that anything has been restored since the site first went down and that is sad.  The website was a great resource and there was measurable progress as they steadily worked at improving it... now its like nothing at all is being done and nothing has been done in quite a while.

And that might be the case. From what I remember, your site, while large, content-wise, is all mostly flat HTML.

Trainlife's site seemed significantly more complicated, and fixing that stuff can often get pretty "un-fun". I know, I'm in the same boat. We need to upgrade the CRHS site to a newer version of the software it uses, but it's a major undertaking, and there's no compelling sense of satisfaction in it that drives me to go do it (instead of, say, working on my layout).