Author Topic: Model Power Going Out of Business  (Read 8824 times)

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Model Power Going Out of Business
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2014, 01:05:42 AM »
I do think that it a shame to see the MP range go. I do wonder who will pick it up and run with it. A little bit of work and a little bit of pain and that could be a great line of models.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »
I do think that it a shame to see the MP range go. I do wonder who will pick it up and run with it. A little bit of work and a little bit of pain and that could be a great line of models.

Regards

Al

Oh boy, you know it.  Those steam engines.   Ugh!   Fix that stupid tender, rearrange the boiler wiring, and knurl the axle ends so the drivers won't slip.  I know, not "trivial" changes, but they are SO CLOSE with those engines.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 01:57:38 AM »
 :|         I broke down and ordered two sound equipped FP-7's in CP road name , even though there was no description as to who manufactured the sound chip. The order went through ok two  days ago, then I received this E Mail today :" We will not be accepting new retail orders or customer service request. We are trying to do our best to resolve ALL existing issues /returns/repairs that are currently in house. Our customers were loyal and deserve this. Please be patient".      Nate Goodman (Nato).

robwill84

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »
I will certainly miss them. With just a little work, their 2-6-0's are very good representations of Southern Pacific moguls. I have two currently, and while they both required some tinkering to get them to run smoothly, they now compare favorably to any other locomotive I've ever owned. I installed Bachmann tender trucks for improved pickup and added a Tsunami 750 to one. I'm modeling the SP's Friant branch in the late fifties, so I need a bunch of them. Really hope another company is able to re-release them some day.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1709
    • My website
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
I know some people didn't care for it....

But I really like my MP Pacific.

Hope to make the A&WP #290 one day.  Our family rode a CSX excursion around 1991 out of Montgomery.

The steamer lies in pieces in Buford Georgia now.   :oops:
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2014, 02:41:54 AM »
The 2-6-0 came the closest to "getting it right" I think.  They used the really good 5-pole Mashima and
put a traction tire on it.   So if you just fix the tender pickups, it's a great engine.

I have a 4-6-2 also, for future kitbash fodder.   Except for the spotty pickup, I think it runs great.  Quiet, smooth,
just great.  But it can't pull for bupkis and the pickup makes it unusable (which I will fix if I ever use it).   I have
the traction tire drivers for it, so the fix is in hand.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
They "got it right" on the last batch that was sent to Micro-Trains.

The 4-4-0 has much improved pickup on the tender (not all wheel yet though) and added pickup on the pilot wheels. It runs, dare me to say, perfect. It has great slow speed, pulls extremely well (my son ran it on his 11"R over under 3x3 layout with 25 cars on a 4% grade), and doesn't stall anywhere. I don't know if the others got the same treatment as the B&O 4-4-0 is the only one I picked up. If they all ran as good as this one, nobody would be complaining about antiquated anything.
Tony Hines

sumfred

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
The Santa Fee 4-4-0 also sold through MTL had the improvements as well.
Very good pulling power and a lot better pick-up. I only swapped the tender out for a Bachmann tender as I needed room for a sound decoder.
Fred

Mr Z

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »
If anyone's interested I just read on another train forum that Nassau Hobby bought up the last of Model Power's N scale steamers.

http://nassauhobby.com/Trains-N-Model-Power/

Martin Z

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 07:16:36 PM »
If I were modeling steam, I'd be buying some of those Southern 4-6-2s.

Hmm... I'd like to get
me a thirty-aught-six...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »
If I were modeling steam, I'd be buying some of those Southern 4-6-2s.

If I had money, I'd be right there with you.  :o