Author Topic: oversized N scale decal sets?  (Read 1178 times)

scaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
oversized N scale decal sets?
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »
Motive here is not to start an attack on any decal producer's product but to get a heads up on any N scale sets that are suited to TT scale, where getting decals is a challenge. 

I recall that a few of the N scale decal sets I bought years ago were too large, and while that was annoying at the time, now that I model TT, oversized N things are of considerable interest  ;)

Regards

Ben

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: oversized N scale decal sets?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »
Some of the British n scale decals are 1:150, so they are closer to TT. 

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »
UK N is 1:148, but no one models US outline in that scale.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
I have intermodal container decals in that scale, for what it is worth.  I feel like I saw some TT decals of American prototypes in Germany, but I did not note the company.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
One thing you can consider...some of the smaller outfits can probably scale down HO (or scale up N) decals.   While Microscale probably isn't willing to do that, others might.  I had one reduce a set of HO decals to N....cost me a little bit more but I got what I wanted.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
the smaller outfits can downsize an HO set or upscale an N one, but I have done this and found that it costs.  essentially, for each vehicle you want to decal, you pay about $US130. 

for that you will get a minimum run of 20 or 25 sets of the same thing. but if you want a small varied roster, with one boxcar for this road, one hopper for another, etc, rather than a unit train, it quickly becomes impractical. 

there are certain microscale sets that include heralds and lettering in different sizes, but for many RRs, including the SCL which is my main focus, the heralds seem to have been a standard size, so you don't get that serendipity where a small HO herald, for instance, can measure up OK for a large TT one.

cheers, ben

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »
Contact me at teditor@bigpond.com

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the land down under.

scaro

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »
...   I feel like I saw some TT decals of American prototypes in Germany, but I did not note the company.

Hi Scott, do you remember what shop you saw the TT decals in?

Regards, Ben