Author Topic: Current-production paint to match Intermountain C&O/B&O dark blue  (Read 1330 times)

Snark45

• Crew
  • But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
  • Respect: +11
Hi Folks
Does anyone know a current-production paint to match C&O/B&O dark blue as used on merger-era locomotives? An n-scale example would be Intermountain’s latest B&O-marked F-7. My Poly Scale C&O Enchantment Blue has more of a weathered look. Much appreciated.
Harry

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Current-production paint to match Intermountain C&O/B&O dark blue
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »
I'm not familiar with C&O/B&O colors, but Scalecoat II makes B&O royal blue. They also make C&O blue. One of them might be a match.

http://www.weavermodels.com/page11.html

Hmm... my favorite color
is orangutan orange...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:14:07 AM by Kisatchie »
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Snark45

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »
Thanks so much. I somehow missed that Scalecoat is still available  --  so, I've just ordered a bottle of each for test purposes.

Best regards,
Harry

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:49:38 PM »
Harry,
Tru-Color Paint also has a C&O/B&O blue. Stock number TCP-72. I have a color chart from them that I could email to you if you PM your email. Rick Galazzo of TCP emailed it to me a couple of months ago. Their paints go on very nicely and have a gloss finish that you can decal directly onto.

Jon

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
Harry,
Tru-Color Paint also has a C&O/B&O blue. Stock number TCP-72. I have a color chart from them that I could email to you if you PM your email. Rick Galazzo of TCP emailed it to me a couple of months ago. Their paints go on very nicely and have a gloss finish that you can decal directly onto.

Jon

I  never trust paint charts displayed (or printed) from a computer. At best, they are vague approximations of the true paint color.
. . . 42 . . .

Snark45

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »
So true. I would never apply a new paint to a model without testing it out first, regardless.

Even though the shades are approximate, the advantage of a chart like the one so kindly provided by Jon is that it shows in one place the entire range of colors available from Tru-color, a company I was not very familiar with before now. For that reason alone, it is much appreciated.
Regards,
Harry

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
So true. I would never apply a new paint to a model without testing it out first, regardless.

Even though the shades are approximate, the advantage of a chart like the one so kindly provided by Jon is that it shows in one place the entire range of colors available from Tru-color, a company I was not very familiar with before now. For that reason alone, it is much appreciated.
Regards,
Harry

I highly recommend the Tru-color paint line. It is very similar in application to Accupaint, which is my favorite paint to use on locos and rolling stock.  However if you are used to different paints (like Floquil or PollyS), you will will have to make some adjustments to your airbrushing technique while using this paint.  It is not difficult to apply - just a bit different.  The paint goes on in a very thin layer, and it dries quickly to a hard semi-gloss finish which is ready for decals.
. . . 42 . . .