Author Topic: Helix advice  (Read 2535 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Helix advice
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
This Sand Patch layout from the May 2005 MR was originally in HO scale, but could be readily scaled down to N.  This shows one way that a larger helix can be incorporated into a room, and retains the benefits of the large curve radii for improved operation, train length, and performance:

http://www.annapolisjunctionrr.com/?_escaped_fragment_=sand-patch---lower-level/zoom/cpiu/i301nl7

http://www.annapolisjunctionrr.com/?_escaped_fragment_=sand-patch---upper-level/zoom/cpiu/image12w

Ed

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
Just spent the last couple hours cleaning the room of junk and taking measurements. It looks like I can get a 30 x 30 helix down by the closet door. This will allow the door to open and also keep the helix away from the window. So if the math is correct; that will let me use 13.75" unitrack to make the single track helix (which I have on hand).

There was some talk about train length. No more than 15 cars with a optional caboose I'm thinking. Some shifters may only be 5 or so cars. Depends on the tipple be served. Why a caboose? I'm thinking of a tipple that requires a back up move and NS/CSX still use cabins for such use. Yes back up moves with truck mounted couplers is certain doom but I think if the speeds are nice n slow and the move is short, I "should" be ok. Famous last words.....

crrcoal

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
WOW this is just what I am envisioning!! This is what BCRail_FSJ did for his layout (Hope you don't mind me linking your photo--delete if necessary)
This looks exactly how that corner of my room is set up window and all.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
For grades / train lengths I can tell you that a "typical" diesel loco can haul about 12-15 cars on a 2% grade.  Obviously this depends on the locos and the cars in question but it's a good ballpark.  I hope to make my helix about a 18" radius and 1.9% grade.  The actual curve adds to the resistance of the grade and the tighter the curve the worse this gets. 

crrcoal

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »
Ok so as I continue with planning; what are your methods of joining unitrack to ME code 55?

Writhdar

• Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
I assume you're aware of the Ashlin heliices,    http://www.ashlintrains.com/servlet/the-Helix-Elevation-Systems-cln-N-Scale-1-bdsh--cln-160/Categories  .  The #2007 and #2007 seem to fit your space requirements. 

If you have locos with a big "swingout", e.g., a Big Boy, you may have to use a few pieces of smaller radii curves to avoid contact with the posts.  I have the larger radiius helix, #2008, using Kato's superelevated double track.  Swingout is not an issue but I found that the front pilot of the Athearn Big Boy would lift over the rails.