Author Topic: N Scale roadways are about to come to life!!  (Read 4441 times)

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
Re: N Scale roadways are about to come to life!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:54:04 AM »
Make-up brushes?

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »
Make-up brushes?
Paint brushes.I looked through the rack and found a flat,stiff brush that was as close to 9mm as I could find.

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
This is one of the coolest things.  So many possibilities!

When I read your title I figured you're implying one key application for us N-scalers is animation of autos, trucks & other vehicles using this technology if it's financially viable - correct?
Some of the current die cast/plastic n-scale vehicles come with wheels & axles to allow free rolling. First trick will be to redesign the front axles & wheels to allow pivoting motion (steering left or right).
From the video it seems that the micro robots have to be in contact with the surface - will this technology work with an air gap between the robot (if it were imbedded in a 1/160 scale vehicle) and the magnetic surface (roadway) ??
Here's some new buzz words that N-scale vehicle makers need to bone up on - Mag-μBot & Electroadhesion.

http://nanolab.me.cmu.edu/projects/MagneticMicroRobot/

http://www.sri.com/engage/products-solutions/electroadhesion
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:51:15 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
Lou, I am stealing that idea.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »
I have a suspicion that these will be cost prohibitive--at least for a while.
James R. Will

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
Lou, I am stealing that idea.
Fill your pockets Eric,LOL!!! One thing to keep in mind on "Wally"..You really want to use a 4 wheeled something or other,I used a European boxcar chassis with a shortened Atlas FA shell.Length isn't critical,but I would avoid something really long.You want the brush rig as close to the front wheel as possible,so it tracks like the wheel.The thinner,stiffer,and flatter the brush,the better.You don't want the bristles touching the ties,you want them JUST close enough to the tie so the ballast gets swept in front of it.If it touches the ties,it throws the ballast all over.I use the Micro Mark Ballast Spreader to put the stuff down,and finish with this.I modify the MM spreader so it puts only puts down what you need,by making sure it sits down close to the ties.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
OK.  It looks like an Alco Walrus, but if it works, why not?  I've seen stranger things on the prototype.

Goo goo ga joob.   But where are the egg men?  :trollface:

aikorob

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »
OK.  It looks like an Alco Walrus, but if it works, why not?  I've seen stranger things on the prototype.

I didn't know Jamie Hyneman was into model RRs
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:26:35 AM by aikorob »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 04:00:42 AM »
Lou:  My first thought was that you were using an old Arnold cast-metal "FA-whatever", and actually running it.  After a second glance it was obviously shortened, and cutting one of those old Arnolds would be a major job.  Congratulations on a very clever design!

Aikorob:  I had to Google "Jamie Hyneman".  Yes, there is a certain resemblance...

Lemosteam:  Today they're probably outside with The Rabbit.
N Kalanaga
Be well

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
Lou:  My first thought was that you were using an old Arnold cast-metal "FA-whatever", and actually running it.  After a second glance it was obviously shortened, and cutting one of those old Arnolds would be a major job.  Congratulations on a very clever design!

You ain't kidding..Powered Arnold FB2..Made it 20+ years ago,no filler,glued with JB Weld,cut it with a razor saw,LOL!! You know there are different Arnold FA shells? The later ones are a lot heavier,have extra weights cast in..

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
Forget moving cars on roadways for a while. Maybe this is the way to build locomotives and get out of relying on track power and the need to clean.  Might be better than battery power.....

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
Forget moving cars on roadways for a while. Maybe this is the way to build locomotives and get out of relying on track power and the need to clean.  Might be better than battery power.....

Hello Rossford Yard,

Read thru some the details on how magnetic micro robot technology works (via the link http://nanolab.me.cmu.edu/projects/MagneticMicroRobot/). Why not further investigate practical implementation of this technology to bring forth moving vehicles in 1/160 scale?

1.) Tomix has already provided us with an affordable, modular system that uses embedded guide wires in the roadways and semi small on-board battery operated motors/electronics in the buses - Works pretty good but it's bulky and nobody has provided replacement North American prototype bus shells yet.
2.) "Multiple Mag-μBots can be operated with the use of specialized surface capable of creating local electrostatic fields, which selectively lock down (anchor) Mag-μBots. Anchored micro-robots do not move in the presenece of a driving magnetic field, but unanchored micro-robots do. This allows for the serial uncoupled positioning of multiple Mag-μBots, or the parallel symmetric motion of multiple Mag-μBots. Alternatively, multiple Mag-μBots can be made with different properties, to respond differently to the input fields. By learning the response of the micro-robots to different actuation waveforms, the computer can automatically calculate which fields to apply to get multiple micro-robots to move to arbitrary goal positions". - What kinds of surfaces can be used & how costly is the technology to make them?
3.) What maximum air gap can be had while still maintaining independent control. Is it high enough to embed the robot into a 1/160 scale vehicle. Can the vehicle be better made with low friction axles & wheels so that they roll better? Also need to simulate turning the front wheels L/R for steering around corners & backing up/parallel parking next to a DPM store front, etc..
3.) With magnetic micro robots the need for on-board motors & batteries is eliminated and the technology in item 2.) replaces the need for guide wires. looks like the individual robots are controlled via this http://www.sri.com/sites/default/files/brochures/sri_karto.pdf? Any way to link this software product with JMRI/DCC to allow synchronous control over their movements in & around the trains, grade crossings, loading ramps, station parking lots?
4.) As a practical example, watch for for the section in the video where a flexible substrate is shown with the robots traversing up and down the hills.

The electroadhesion technology could add additional animation possibilities to the already amazing micro robots!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:41:29 AM by 160pennsy »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

160pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
Bump....I would have expected to see some comments, replies or further speculative analysis posted by Peteski, DKS and some others by now....
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
Well... I'd say very likely the cost will be prohibitive and the learning curve quite steep, limiting its implementation to DIY types with strong computer/electromechanical skills as well as deep pockets. I'm also suspicious about its ability to move N scale vehicles across an irregular surface--it looks as if the "roadway" would need to be smooth and slick, i.e. unrealistic. I've already experimented with a similar, comparatively much larger linear magnetic propulsion system (video here); the need for a very smooth surface limits the realism of any modeled roads, and even at its relatively large size, the masses it could move were considerably less than the lightest N scale vehicle.

Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer," but having dabbled in related technologies, their modeling applications were too limited to be practical... for vehicles, at least. I might see this put to use animating crowds of people...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:25:07 PM by David K. Smith »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4592
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »
As far as my comments go, I agree with DKS' assessment. My assessment of this technology at this point in time pretty much mirrors his. It would be a bit too complex for what I would consider a viable technology for model train layout application.

But who knows, maybe when they start using this type of animation (for vehicles and maybe even figures) on the H0 Miniatur Wunderland layout, then it might become possible to also adapt it to N scale home layouts.
. . . 42 . . .