Author Topic: EMD SW1  (Read 3409 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
EMD SW1
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »
So, what are the prospects of an SW1 coming along in n-scale?

It's been on my list for a while, but not something I'm in some major hurt for.   One switched the Trinity Industries plant that hopefully will one day stake it's territory on my next layout.   I don't normally get too overly excited about industrial switchers, and would be fine plopping down an NW2 or SW12 in its place if need be.   But, I was surfing around the other day and noticed that--news to me--it was a fairly popular locomotive with a ton of different owners.   So that got me thinking about if it was something on someone's short list somewhere.   Does it share a mech/wheelbase/etc with anything currently available?
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
Re: EMD SW1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
It shares a wheelbase with other contemporary EMD switchers. The problem with the mechanism is the front step, since the hood is so much shorter than the rest of the EMD switchers any mechanism would have to be modified.

Rangust has made resin shells to fit a modified Kato NW-2.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
I have one (of Randy's) and I like it a lot.

Randy

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
I keep toying with the idea of starting my own model manufacturing company. If I were to do that the SW-1 is likely to be the first model.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
The problem with the mechanism is the front step, since the hood is so much shorter than the rest of the EMD switchers any mechanism would have to be modified.

Ah, yeah I thought it looked like it might have a shorter long hood.   Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't look like Rangust's SW1 is available anymore.  Regardless, I got plenty of "projects" right now (including one of Rangust's CF7's) so I'm willing to have some patience to see what happens before going down that path.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
There was an article about modifying a ConCor SW-whatever into a SW-1. I remember it not being that hard and building one myself, but it's been awhile since I did it. Quite awhile...

After a quick search I think it was in N Scale July 1993. Should be applicable to other SW switchers as well.
Sacramento Valley NTrak

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1821
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
There was an article about modifying a ConCor SW-whatever into a SW-1. I remember it not being that hard and building one myself, but it's been awhile since I did it. Quite awhile...

After a quick search I think it was in N Scale July 1993. Should be applicable to other SW switchers as well.

Wasn't it by our Rob Bearden?
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »
I want an SW-1001.
 Joe D

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
That's the article about a B&M unit, right?  I'm pretty sure it used the old, old RR mechanism as a base.  To my knowledge, Ron's never made an SW1.
Aaron Bearden

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »

Here's one I'm working on,not quit done settling in the decals, touching it up a little,and didn't Dullcote it yet,just dropped on the chassis for the pic...ConCor / Kato chassis,Life Like shell,Con Cor sill.The drop in the hood is carved from another hood and spliced in.It's a little high,but not horrible..Just got metal sunshades for it,gonna paint the frame sides Tuscan,also,may try to fill it in a little too,so it looks a little lower..

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:32:58 PM by LV LOU »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »
As bbussey (in essence) says, if it ain't made commercially, make it yourself.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +679
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
I typically do the SW1's as custom-builds because to do it right, I also have to grind down the frame and fit it to the body.  So you get a Kato NW-2, ship it to me, I modify the cast frame and fit the shell.   You can then either finish it yourself or I can do a custom finishing.  I can also do the wire handrails to some of the oddball configurations of those, including side handrails.

I've done my shell on the Life-Like SW (NEVER again), the Con-Cor chassis (both Kato flavors) and the Kato NW-2.  The only one that really works is the Kato NW-2, and it runs quite well.

Just contact me through the website if you want more details.  I do sell just the resin body casting.

This one is probably my favorite custom job so far, commissioned by the family of the engineer that ran it:

I've talked to Kato that this wouldn't be that hard, really, a couple different frame parts and everything else pretty much fits.   I got the impression, however, that the NW2 sales weren't high enough to make them bit a second time with a new model and they're content to let me do this on the edges. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:05:50 AM by randgust »

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »
Modutrak's very own, Vince Kotnik, did a SW1 via the Kato Mech.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
Nice work gents!   That CNW unit is really nicely weathered.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
Love the conversions everybody. Question/statement about Vince's very nice C&NW unit. I didn't realize that they used that color green. Most of the units I have seen have a darker green, similar to the nose stripes. Given the reputation of the Modutrak group, I assume that it is correct. What's the deal?

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.