Author Topic: Can one circuit be hooked up to another - PM42 & On Guard AR  (Read 1093 times)

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Can one circuit be hooked up to another - PM42 & On Guard AR
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
So many many moons ago I acquired two PM42's intending that three of the four slots be auto reversing on the first PM42.  I then had the PM42's installed ready to be hooked up to the circuits I hadn't determined yet.

Since that initial installations of PM42's, I bought two On Guard Auto Reversers (OG AR) which I have now created two separate circuits for and will install the AR's within the week (thus not needing the AR capacity of the PM42).  When I set up the PM42's everything was going to be routed through them.  I realize I can create separate power hook ups for the OG AR's (there will be three in total when I finish, two almost set up now).  Is there any advantage or disadvantage to hooking them up to one of the PM...'s.  Realize the ON AR's have a 4 amp rating (I'm in N scale with probably a maximum of 6 engines running at any one time - no sound) with their own circuit breaking capabilities.
Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: Can one circuit be hooked up to another - PM42 & On Guard AR
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »
RSN48..
I would keep them separate. So don't power the OG-AR's through the PM42.. Just wire them directly to the command station.
That way you end up with multiple power districts and if there is a short in one section, then the rest of the layout will keep working.

Rgds,
Brendan.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

rsn48

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
That's kind of what I was thinking.

elnscale

• Crew
    • Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »
I realize that this response is a bit late to the game. I just wanted to give my perspective on what you're planning.

You didn't mention what command station you have - but you did mention that you'll have 6 engines running and you are in n scale.

The OG-AR needs 4 amps to make it work. So if you have a zephyr, for example, it does not have enough power to make the OG-AR work. That is, the circuit breaker/auto reverser function will not operate due to an insufficient current flow and you will pour up to 4 amps through the short circuit that the loco's wheels will create. If you have something with at least 4 amps, then it will operate. However, a short that draws 4 amps will be necessary to make that auto reverser do its job.

Different people like different things. For me, I don't like that 4amp spark. I decided for that reason to go with the digitrax AR-1. This can be adjusted to throw at 0.25 amps through 8 amps (ugh!). You have the PM42. So do I. I set up each of my power districts on the PM42 to be 2 amps max. Then I adjusted the AR-1s so that they switched before the PM-42 circuit breaker went off, so I imagine somewhere in the 1-2 amp range. It all works fine. This is not to say that the AR-1 is the world's greatest device, but I have 4 power districts and I have auto reversers on several of them and they all operate flawlessly and, for me, the currents involved are substantially less so that was a key selection criteria.

The 2 amps on each leg of the PM-42 has never been an issue for me; our small n-scale locos draw small currents and I often have at least half a dozen locos in a single district. Note I have no sound decoders and that would make a difference.

The point of the post? Consider carefully if you want to be tripping the auto-reverser with 4 amps.
Steve
Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
www.scrantonstation.com

rsn48

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
5 amps, Digitrax's power what cha ma call it. OG-AR's are installed and "seem" to be working, engine goes through with no problems.