Author Topic: SP Mountain District (Tehachapi Pass) - N scale  (Read 18875 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: SP Mountain District (Tehachapi Pass) - N scale
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:49 AM »
I don't know how I missed this thread until now, but those room panoramas are most impressive.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
I missed this thread until now

Tom that is a smiteable offense....  :D

Ed

ChrisKLAS

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »

Haha! I laughed out loud!

The expansion has changed a bit since I posted that image. The single track section between Cable and Marcel has gotten longer, with Cable moved to the peninsula in the center of the new area, the run through the waiter clooset now representing tunnel 14 (one portal in the original layout area, the other just above the duckunder in the new area), and tunnels 15-17 in the new expansion area along the left side.

All of the track, wiring, detection, power switches, and 80% of the signals are in on the upper level. I'm still waiting for some custom signals to finish off Tehachapi and Summit Switch. I'll start tackling the lower level subroadbed soon.

I posted this in the weekend update a week ago, but I guess it deserves a place here too. This is the mainline as it passes through the WC!

ChrisKLAS

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 12:43:07 AM »
I've been making more progress toward merging the "expansion" and previous layout into one. I spent the past week ripping the previous layout out down to, and including, the subroadbed between "old Bena" and "old Ilmon" to afford the new alignment which will feature all double track into the new expansion area, as well as the control point at Sandcut and the helper pocket/signal bridge just west of Bena. The new subroadbed is cut and installed, and all track is laid, bus wires run, and detection in place. Once again, my 19.2 scale miles of mainline trackage is complete from Bakersfield to Mojave. :D Switch motors at Sandcut and the helper pocket, as well as signalling, to come as time and (mostly) materials permit.

Signalling on the lower level of the new expansion is complete, so here's a video of a westbound ATSF manifest crossing the newly installed mostly-scratch-built bridge (first crossing of Caliente Creek) at Bena, and taking a diverging advanced approach signal on the color lights (a bit of a time warp at this location, but what can I say? I like variety.) at the control point. This indication tells the crew that they'll be taking the diverging route through the switch (to maintain right-hand running on double track) and should expect to stop at Sandcut, another couple miles down the line.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 01:58:29 AM »
Really nice Chris.  I continue to be flabbergasted (and jealous) at your rate of progress.  Keep the updates and inspiration coming, please.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 04:15:46 AM »
God damn what a layout!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 04:39:26 AM »
This is a most beautiful layout and I envy you I have the materials for a large basement layout but an uncooperative wife.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
wonderful work
it is immense and very well made
so enjoyed watching the trains traverse the rail
train speed was perfect
wow!

respectfully
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »
I posted this in the weekend update a week ago, but I guess it deserves a place here too. This is the mainline as it passes through the WC!

The Tehachapi Loo?

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »
You must be a single guy, train running through the bathroom and a pic of what appears to be a -8 on the wall!
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »
You must be a single guy, train running through the bathroom and a pic of what appears to be a -8 on the wall!

Single guys don't keep cans of smell-good on their cans  :ashat:

I'm more worried about the shelf being so high that any sound of train passage might result in "early lift-off" from the bowl below  :scared:

Groovy project!
Looking forward to more pictures!
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »
Sooo, is there any progress?
Would love to see more  :o
Otto K.

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
This thread needs another bump - yo Chris! :trollface:

Cheers!
Marc - Riverside

ChrisKLAS

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »
Sorry guys! I haven't had a tremendous amount of time to work on the layout lately due to a hectic travel schedule.

In the past few months I've finished up the bridges at Bena (1st crossing Caliente Creek), Ilmon (second crossing Caliente Creek), and Woodford (4th crossing Tehachapi Creek). All of the tunnels on the layout (1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 14-17) are also complete with the track weathered, ballasted, liners installed, and custom 3D printed portals painted, weathered, and installed.

Fascia is 100% complete in one room and a lot of backdrop work has been done.

Last, but not least, the few remaining signals and signal bridges have been installed so CTC is 100% complete.

I've been posting most of my updates at my layout's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/NScaleTehachapiPass

Downtown Tehachapi is starting to come together. The pre-2008 fire depot is a heavy modification of the Blair Line kit.

4th crossing of Tehachapi Creek

Woodford

1st crossing of Caliente Creek (Bena)

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
Chris!  I gotta say, I am totally amazed by your talent, dedication, and attention to detail!  You are the Tehachapi Construction Machine, bro!  8) 8) 8)

When you are ready, you will be able to charge people admission to come & see it, just like the La Mesa Club!  Can I buy my ticket in advance?  ;)

Ed