Author Topic: Anyone need expensive kitbash fodder ?  (Read 3175 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Anyone need expensive kitbash fodder ?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
While that was true several years back, that is no longer the case.  None of the currently made European models I bought (Minitrix, BRAWA, Fleischmann) are made in Germany anymore. That ship has sailed.  Most are assembled in China, some in Romania.  The quality is suffering due to this (unfortunately, as expected).  :x  The quality of 2 of recently purchased BRAWA (China) models was so bad that I returned one to the dealer. He returned the whole batch (they were all plagued with problems) back to BRAWA. I'm still waiting for a replacement (it is supposedly on its way).  The other one was so poorly assembled that a part was crushed (quality control problem). I'm also waiting for a replacement part for that one.

Sad to hear. The ones I bought were all made in Germany. Guess they were old stock.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
Sad to hear. The ones I bought were all made in Germany. Guess they were old stock.

I agree - it is sad. All the quality German-made models are gone. Looks like Kato is the lone company left which still designs and assembles models in their Japanese (not Chinese) factories.  And (sans few glitches) that shows in the overalls design and assembly quality of their offerings.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
Oh, and next time Peteski, try to be more obvious about highlighting a particular sentence... :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Oh, and next time Peteski, try to be more obvious about highlighting a particular sentence... :trollface:

Are you saying that just making it bold would have been enough?  :D
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »
Hmmm, maybe model railroad manufacturing is taking turn for the better after all.

I just received 2 recently produced Fleischmann European-prototype models (a steam loco and a coal hopper).  Other recent models I bought (within last couple of years) had added stickers pasted the boxes, or the box insert mentioned that the item was made in China, Romania, or another country other than Germany.  Neither of these 2 new models has any mention of countries other than Germany.  I wonder if that was an oversight, or was the manufacturing brought back to Germany? The quality os assembly seems to be pretty good on both models.

On a related note, I also received another European model.   This one was made by Kato, but it was made for NOCH (not Lemke).  I think this is the first time I've seen a European prototype model made by Kato which was not commissioned by Lemke.  It is nice to see Kato now being commissioned by multiple European companies to produce their models.  Again, the quality is top-notch.
. . . 42 . . .

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
The problem with European prices is the US Dollar. While Trix, Roco, etc. have kept up with the inflation in Europe, the US Dollar lost 50% of its value over the last 15 years compared to European currencies. It is even worse when you look at exchange rate when N-Scale started in the sixties. Since then, the Dollar lost almost 80% of its value.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
The problem with European prices is the US Dollar. While Trix, Roco, etc. have kept up with the inflation in Europe, the US Dollar lost 50% of its value over the last 15 years compared to European currencies. It is even worse when you look at exchange rate when N-Scale started in the sixties. Since then, the Dollar lost almost 80% of its value.

Yes, those were the days!  When Euro was first introduced in the early 2000s (at the value of 50 cents per Euro), I went on a big shopping spree for European models.  They were very affordable. Now, at $1.40 per Euro, the prices for European models are almost unreasonable.
. . . 42 . . .