Author Topic: N Scale truck/trailer gasoline rig  (Read 3063 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +486
Re: N Scale truck/trailer gasoline rig
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
jimmo,

I looked at Willmodels e-bay store and the models look pretty good. But not a lot of modern cars or trucks represents, but perhaps you are working on that. I specially liked the '55 Cameo p/u until I looked at the close up and it reminds me of the FUD finish. How would you suggest working the resin to smooth it out? Is there any way that can be addressed as I would be very interested in just about any kind of mo-gas trucks/trailers you can come up with. Any samples yet?

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 02:10:21 AM »
Carl:  No, none of my vehicles are.  That way I can vary the scenery a little anytime I like, especially for pictures, and it's easier to vacuum the dust off the layout without damaging them.  After all, the layout isn't going anywhere, so nothing is going to fall off.  On a portable layout, or one on a table with normal legs, fastening things down would make more sense.  Mine is screwed to the walls and even bumping it doesn't move things much.

In this case, there's usually a Sinclair tanker sitting at the station, but that looked like the best place to get a broadside shot, so I swapped trucks.

Jimmo:  There's nothing wrong with resin, and I have some resin vehicles, but I prefer plastic.  For one thing, it's easier to modify, at least for me, simply because it's easier to glue.  I never have had much luck with superglues, except as filler for balsa wood.  Saturate the wood with glue, then dunk it in water, and it can be filed and sanded just like plastic.  Great for tank ends in brass tubing.

Also, what I had in mind was models that would be mass-produced, like Athearn's Macks and Atlas's Fords, and those are better suited to injection molding.  For specialty cabs and chassis, like the bodies, resin would be a better choice, due to the lower start-up costs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:13:37 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »
jimmo,

I looked at Willmodels e-bay store and the models look pretty good. But not a lot of modern cars or trucks represents, but perhaps you are working on that. I specially liked the '55 Cameo p/u until I looked at the close up and it reminds me of the FUD finish. How would you suggest working the resin to smooth it out? Is there any way that can be addressed as I would be very interested in just about any kind of mo-gas trucks/trailers you can come up with. Any samples yet?

Carl

Carl, I am working on some modern vehicles that I will be listing as soon as each is finished. I just listed a Toyota Prius in actual 1/160 N-scale (not the 1/150 scale Japanese N-scale). It's not a hollow-body (yet), but I'm working on techniques that will allow such possibilities.

I think what you saw when you checked out the '55 Cameo Pickup was the grainy photo and NOT the model's actual finish. They are not anywhere near FUD's texture. Unlike some of my competition, I don't keep using the molds until they fall apart.

If you like I can send you a sample. Just PM me your mailing address.

jimmo
James R. Will

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Also, what I had in mind was models that would be mass-produced, like Athearn's Macks and Atlas's Fords, and those are better suited to injection molding. 

Like I said, good luck waiting for mass-produced IM Plastic do-it-yourself trucks. Manufacturers just don't do business that way. I have several cab/chassis available and they don't sell as well as the kits with everything included. I agree with you about having truck chassis to work with--that would be awesome. Some manufacturers actually have spares that can be purchased as parts but (I doubt) it's something that's going to be marketed anytime soon.

The closest thing to what you're talking about is tractors, all you have to do is lengthen the frames. But look how long it took each manufacturer to produce these models--it's a major deal to make new vehicles.

James R. Will

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 11:36:18 PM »

jimmo,

That is a very nice offer but no thank you, I was not looking for a freebie. What I will do is order one of the Cameos. I think it would look real cool in candy apple red. I love that color. It is good to hear that you are working on other ideas.

Now let me show my age (74) and do some remembering, if I can crank up the grey matter. Some others may remember this too. In the '50's and early '60's I built a lot of AMT 1/24 cars, and by the way many were in candy apple red, some with gold base and some silver. Did I mention I like candy apple red? My point is that some mfgr., I think it was AMT, sold packages of motors, blowers, tri-carb manifolds, dual quad manifolds, exhaust headers, pretty wheels, racing wheels. It was almost unlimited as to how a guy could customize a car or scratch build one. I know times have changed in 60+ years but wouldn't it be nice if we could get chassis, cabs, tanks, boxes or whatever to build a vehicle. Oh well, I can dream.

Thanks again for the offer.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Carl, I have a S-load of 1/25 models that were never finished from the late 60's. They were newer finished due to family growth and moving to Florida. All of the kits were put on the top of a shelf in the garage when we moved from S. Plainfield, NJ to Jacksonville, FL.

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »
Another thing with fuel tankers, if you really want to get the tank right on the chassis you need to determine where the C/G of the load is. Most tankers have 44,000 axels and 12,000 fronts. So you would want to balance the rear center about 1/3 from the rear of the tank. If the is a rear discharge then the COG moves forward. Just too many years in the truck industry. Bob.

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
jimmo,

That is a very nice offer but no thank you, I was not looking for a freebie. What I will do is order one of the Cameos. I think it would look real cool in candy apple red. I love that color. It is good to hear that you are working on other ideas.

Now let me show my age (74) and do some remembering, if I can crank up the grey matter. Some others may remember this too. In the '50's and early '60's I built a lot of AMT 1/24 cars, and by the way many were in candy apple red, some with gold base and some silver. Did I mention I like candy apple red? My point is that some mfgr., I think it was AMT, sold packages of motors, blowers, tri-carb manifolds, dual quad manifolds, exhaust headers, pretty wheels, racing wheels. It was almost unlimited as to how a guy could customize a car or scratch build one. I know times have changed in 60+ years but wouldn't it be nice if we could get chassis, cabs, tanks, boxes or whatever to build a vehicle. Oh well, I can dream.

Thanks again for the offer.

Carl

No problem Carl. Just bear in mind that in this tiny scale that every coat of paint you put on there is a scale inch or two added to the model's overall shape. Also bear in mind that those tiny metal flakes are going to be huge in 1/160 scale. I actually have a resin color close to candy apple red that I can cast your truck in that you might find appealing.

I remember those AMT models. My older brothers had all that stuff (I'm only 60). I only did a few 1/25 scale models back then. My first one actually won the local hobby shop's model car contest. Surprised the heck out of me.

I think you can still find those old AMT part packs from time-to-time on ebay. Don't expect them to be cheap.

My next series of truck models will be with separate (hollow) cabs, chassis and wheels so the modeler will be able to create their own truck types. I also plan on offering truck bodies and beds to be used in whatever fashion the modeler chooses.
James R. Will

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 11:20:33 PM »
I was also a big fan of the AMT 3 in 1 kits from the 1960s.  And while I don't remember being able to buy packages of spare parts, over the years I managed to accumulate a lot of extra car parts.

I would also like to see the injection modeled model manufacturers offer easy to assemble kits (with extra parts) so I as the modeler can decide when and where to put the glue.  I love to kitbash vehicle models, but sometimes it is impossible to disassemble a model without destroying it. 

You can find some of the easier kitbashes under the Easy 'N' Inexpensive Projects on the N Scale Vehicle Associations Tips 'N Tricks page.  http://nscalevehicles.org/tips_n_tricks.php

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 02:40:14 AM »
Jimmo:  "The closest thing to what you're talking about is tractors"

That's where most of my trucks come from.  I buy a batch of tractors and stretch them to fit.  After the body is on, in many cases, once doesn't need to worry about detailing the frame, just fill the gaps.

In the case of CMW, it's actually cost effective to buy the tractor-trailer sets, and recycle the trailer wheels and dollies.
N Kalanaga
Be well

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »

Jimmo:

I just rcv'd some of your castings ( the 55 Nomad, 55 Cameo, PT Cruiser, and the Beverage trailer and tractor ) and I would like to say that they are the best resin castings, of vehicles, that I have seen. Very smooth and should look real nice when painted. You were correct, in earlier post, when you said the grainy look was because of the ebay close up photo. You nailed them and thanks.

Carl

Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +579
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
Now let me show my age (74) and do some remembering,  My point is that some mfgr., I think it was AMT, sold packages of motors, blowers, tri-carb manifolds, dual quad manifolds, exhaust headers, pretty wheels, racing wheels. It was almost unlimited as to how a guy could customize a car or scratch build one. I know times have changed in 60+ years but wouldn't it be nice if we could get chassis, cabs, tanks, boxes or whatever to build a vehicle. Oh well, I can dream.

Carl

Carl-- Your memory is correct. AMT sold 1/24th scale parts packs as you described to supplement the many extra parts that came with their kits.  I remember engines and a lot of wheel/tire combinations.  They were in a roughly 6 X 8 inch flat box that hung from a peg and had a cellophane front window.  Takes me back............
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
I have finished the unit. Not real happy with the way it turned out, but that is another story. I need to touchup wheels and tires and add some more decals. I think it will look good on the club layout with 3-5' viewing.

Thanks for looking.

Carl

Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas