Author Topic: Second run of IM Sd40-2's announced.  (Read 6056 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Re: Second run of IM Sd40-2's announced.
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »
I am not at all complaining about the IM SD40-2 release.  This model, as presented, should be perfect for probably 80% of the readers of this forum.  My observation was based on the fact that IM has put one out there with the BCR two-tone green that is not at all representative of the real-world unit.  I know, I know, many will say "So what?"  Well, if you want an accurate model and have ever tried to shorten, or lengthen, a hood, you will know what I'm talking about.  All IM would have had to do to produce an accurate model of a BC Rail unit is this:

It's perfectly accurate compared to the advertised models and all it would need would be a different paint job.

And, for the record, I have an IM SD40-2W and I really like it.  Other than the grab irons being a little gross, it is well detailed, very accurate and runs well.  I am thinking I will reserve (although I loathe pre-orders) one or maybe two and do the repaint myself, that is if the low hood isn't long enough :D

Doug
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by BCR751 »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »
I like that this thread has more people complaining about people complaining about a model than people actually complaining about it.

Maybe we could add a "General Complaints" forum, as a peer to the "General Discussion" forum?

Not sure if that has been suggested before, but it would be interesting to see what percentage of posts end up in that.

Ed

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
We tried that.   :P

I don't have a problem with the comments expressed here.  We all have our own preferences and some of them will irritate others -- oh well.   But remember, if you have useful factual information, please share it with the manufacturer, not just us.  They might listen.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
Doug, the two BCR paint jobs are different versions of the SD40-2?  Did they buy them second hand?

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 03:26:14 PM »
Doug, the two BCR paint jobs are different versions of the SD40-2?  Did they buy them second hand?

Yes, BCR bought some from Kennecott Copper and some from Oneida & Western, all made in the USA.  The RCL on the one shown in the photo stands for Remote Control Locomotive and a few of the purchased units received this designation, not sure how many.

Doug

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »
Interesting, I can see your problem.  Hard to say what the actual units will look like give the lack of detail in the advert, I would contact IM.  They had a lot of variants on the SD40T/45T models so that gives me hope that they will try for the same with this model.

tappertrainman

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 03:51:36 PM »
I'm interested in the SF -2 from the first run.  My first experiment with adding sound to a locomotive went badly so I may see if purchasing with sound is an option at a reasonable price.  How do IM chassis compare to the quiet running Kato motors?  Easy to match up and run in a consist?

James
Santa Fe all the way!

Big Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
I won't complain if IM brings out an ACR 40-2....

BTW: lock4244....nice use of the final line from the Stanley Kubrick film 2001!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
I hate, hate, HATE the limited run/preorder sales model.  I understand exactly why it has to be this way, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I've got too many preorders hanging out there as it is.  And since no manufacturer can actually predict when there stuff will hit shelves, one may well be stuck with all of it arriving at once with one huge hobby bill.

Maybe if delivery predictions reflected reality in even an approximate sense I would be more likely to preorder a CR 40-2.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
That's why ESM delays announcement until the items are close to shipping.  Of course, you can still get burned when not informed by the contractor that the shipment will be delayed until the day it actually was scheduled to ship — which is what happened with the latest X58 run.  :facepalm:

I am looking forward to acquiring one of the Conrail units. whenever they reach the mainland.  8)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
So I chatted electronically with IM on Facebook about KCS units and was told they intend to do them. I responded that's when I'll preorder. We shall see.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
So I chatted electronically with IM on Facebook about KCS units and was told they intend to do them. I responded that's when I'll preorder. We shall see.

Did you ask them to do the different paint schemes?

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »
Yes. That they wouldn't commit to.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
I won't complain if IM brings out an ACR 40-2....

BTW: lock4244....nice use of the final line from the Stanley Kubrick film 2001!

I'd be in for a pair of ACR units... CP leased them during the era I'm modeling and I can recall seeing them in Toronto back then. Being built to CN specs (iirc), IM probably already has much of what they'd need.

Heh, couldn't think of a better quote to say 'wow, that's some f*#ked up s#*t there'  :scared:

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
How do IM chassis compare to the quiet running Kato motors?  Easy to match up and run in a consist?

James

My SD40-2W's are very nice runners. Don't run well with Kato, but only because the Kato units are faster, so the IM's have Kato there, imo. But, in terms of shear quality, I'd don't think anything will ever match Kato. The biggest fault I have with the IM chassis are the wheels, which are fugly and chunky. I've been replacing them with Kato low-pro wheelsets... a big improvement.

There's always a trade off with RTR locomotives between price, quality, detail, road specific detail, and choice. I think that IM doing the SD40-2 is going to be a boon to N scale overall, and a fascinating foray into the realm of road specific models. The may not be as specific as many would like, I dunno, but based on the SD40-2W, this is gonna be great!