Author Topic: I just e-mailed my 25th anniversary congrats to N-Scale  (Read 2447 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: I just e-mailed my 25th anniversary congrats to N-Scale
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
        I had an article excepted for publication in the charter issue, was even sent the proof of the article to make corrections. Then just because I sent a letter to the editor of a different magazine with  one (just one) different photo of the locomotive in my article it never ran. I was bitter only for a micro second and have been a "Charter Subscriber" Happy 25th. Oh well now we have real SF GP 60 M locos from Fox Valley, not a kit bash of a Bachmann SF GP 50 with an old Lima FP45 cab and nose grafted on. Nate Goodman (Nato).

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 01:46:39 AM »
http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/recognizing-text-scanned-pdf-documents

I specifically mentioned Adobe Reader as that is the app we normally use to read PDFs.  Acrobat is an editing app (which is rather pricey and not generally used for reading contents of PDFs).  I do understand that Acrobat has a built-in OCR capability.

I went back to my  CDROM set and now I have an explanation:
Volume 1 and 2 (up to Dec 1999) is stored as simple bitmap scans of the pages.  No search capability at all.
Volume 3 and 4 (Jan 2000 - Dec 2009) are PDF version of the actual publication. The contents is fully searchable. Only the images and ads are bitmaps. At least in the few random issues I opened.

When I originally received my set I only spot-read through the first 2 CD volumes.  I assumed  :facepalm: that they were all that way.
. . . 42 . . .

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »
As for digital files, remember that it wasn't Pam's company back then................

Ohhh.  And as far as the cover with U18B goes, that wasn't among the first N-Scale mag covers, it was the first cover when they changed ownership from Hundman Publishing to Platinum Rail.
I think it was the Sept/Oct 2006 issue.
Only a very select number of people received that issue though.

For most people, it was a missing issue.  Too bad, it was a good one.

No collection is totally complete without BOTH inaugural issue and the Sept/Oct 2006 issues.
As a subscriber from early 1990 I didn't get that issue. Makes me want to let my subscription expire if some got it and I didn't.
Al

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »
Well, like I said.  It is a pretty rare issue.

A few people have seen it.

I'll dig mine out and post it.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »
Oh... I found it.

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/500/Nbearden_Cover.JPG

I remember when that issue came out.
I can't believe how time flies.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
Well, like I said.  It is a pretty rare issue.

A few people have seen it.

I'll dig mine out and post it.
I remember that now - must have been an author's issue - April 1 would have been a better cover date.
Al