Author Topic: After all that discussion about FGE ice reefers ....  (Read 1966 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
After all that discussion about FGE ice reefers ....
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:26 PM »
... and my acquiring various undec/to-be-stripped and kitbashed cars to paint as FGE, I find out NOBODY makes FGE ice reefer decals!!!!
But luckily, since it's only text and lines, and they're all black, I can probably print up my own decals at Kinko's. Might even do up all the data and notes on the sides.
However, I need to know what kind of lettering style was used for the big lettering, both for the older serif-style and later block-style letters. Plus I assume all the data, markings, info signs, etc were plain old RR roman?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: After all that discussion about FGE ice reefers ....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Both the serif and block letting used for the railroad name were unique to the road, so you'll have to draw them.  You can get away with probably Bookman and Arial for the serif and sans-serif dimensional data respectively because the font size is small.

I think the decals must exist in HO scale, due to the number of recent FGE kitbashing articles in various historical society publications, so a second option is to obtain one of those and scan/output at 60% to get you Kinkos artwork.

Again, the two InterMountain and Micro-Trains models also meet the prototype criteria.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:25:36 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »
Isn't N scale 54% of HO not 60%? I realise it's not a huge difference but if you're bothering to do it you may as well do it right...

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:03:25 AM »
Yes it is.  I was typing fast and multitasking and didn't catch that when proofing.  54.4375% to be exact, but 54% is close enough for making black decals using analog equipment (i.e. photocopiers).
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
I recommend you talk to Jerry Glow (http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/).  He's a MP modeler and has done a host of ice reefer decals, like his Armour sets.  He's open to suggestions.  BTW, I'd be interested too.  I have a half dozen Precision Master plug door cars and I believe these were a FGE prototype.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
A quick search and I found at least two sources of FGE decals in other scales with examples of what the decal sheet looks like. Try:

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/d119-1-fruit-growers-express-1948-rebuilt-wood-refrigerator-cars/

or

http://protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=225&Categoryid=0
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
... I have a half dozen Precision Master plug door cars and I believe these were a FGE prototype.

If they are, they are very crude representations.  A few years back, I tracked down a couple of the PM cars decorated for FGE for the exact purpose of building an FGE fleet and was disappointed when I saw the lack of detail on the models.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
That's what super-detailing is for?  Of all the people I know, you can give us the real thing.  I'd throw down the gauntlet if you didn't already have so much on your plate.  Of course, I'd rather have a NACC-style meat reefer first, but the FGE car seems more up your alley.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »
That's what super-detailing is for?  Of all the people I know, you can give us the real thing.  I'd throw down the gauntlet if you didn't already have so much on your plate.  Of course, I'd rather have a NACC-style meat reefer first, but the FGE car seems more up your alley.

By "super-detailing" on this model, that includes adding the lower door track if I remember correctly.  One of many common details that usually is included on models but is missing on the PM car.

I potentially have an FGE-based reefer in the queue if the 2014 group of tooling is profitable, but it's not the 40' steel plug door which is only prototypical for FGE unfortunately.  I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the FGE steel ice reefer or the NACC meat reefer.  But the NACC eventually will come from Rapido I suspect, and I can kitbash any FGE steel ice reefers and RB boxcars I need when the time comes to increase the fleet.  I already have a couple of kitbashed FHIX reefers, and the RB will be an easier bash.  But the IM and MTL cars sustain me well for now.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:20:13 AM »
There is a lettering set on the 01/66 MR drawing, but of the non-serif lettering, so that could be a start I guess. What style lettering is the modern type? Is it the same as on the microscale set (60-238)?
Speaking of PM reefers, what was the 40' plug-door steel version based on?

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:42:56 AM »
Is it the same as on the microscale set (60-238)?

In looking at the shot of this set (link below) it appears to have lettering for both the 40' and 50' cars, and the surviving wood cars beyond the 1953 lettering style change (shots of one car with the more modern lettering was in the previously mentioned The Keystone Modeler special issue on FGE wood cars)...

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/87238.jpg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:50:58 AM by jmlaboda »

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
Speaking of PM reefers, what was the 40' plug-door steel version based on?

I'm not exactly sure.  The Spookshow site has the plug door lumped in with the PM (molds bought by Red Caoboose) hinged door, which is based on the PFE R40-23.  But I remember dialogue about the plug door being a FGE prototype and they look more like a FGE than PFE design. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1937879 v. http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/photos/sp/pfe/pfe018137_bob_dengler.jpg

Of course, we haven't seen the PM cars from Red Caboose in forever.  I suspect the molds went into the trash at some point after the purchase.

By "super-detailing" on this model, that includes adding the lower door track if I remember correctly.  One of many common details that usually is included on models but is missing on the PM car.

Yes, as long as the basis of the car is there I'll try to figure out the rest.  If it doesn't work, oh well, I'll just throw the remaining cars back up on eBay and charge a bazillion dollars for them because they're "rare" and "collector's items".

But the NACC eventually will come from Rapido I suspect...

I hope you don't mean the wood reefer Rapido has in HO right now.  That is so not the car I am thinking of.  The Walthers HO "meat reefer" is more what I have in mind.  Leaf through the Morning Sun reefer book and about one third of the cars in it are steel cars like the Walthers car.  I'm surprised no one has released this model in N, two door varieties but so many paint schemes and they roamed a majority of the country.  Of course, so many of those paint schemes were already done by IMRC and MTL on PFE body styles.   :x

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:21:52 AM »
In looking at the shot of this set (link below) it appears to have lettering for both the 40' and 50' cars,

Problem is the FGEX or RBNX markings don't have periods, and the lettering is modern. I suspect these decals are for the actual FGE-style 50' boxcars, which Atlas makes. The decal set even says "50' Insulated Boxcars, '70s+". The Atlas cars have several FGE cars from variouis roads, and these decals can let you make yellow FGE cars for other roads. Do you need decals like this?
Jerry Glow said he'd like to make the '50s FGE decals but nobody has provided him with the lettering details or dimensions. And on THIS subject I will start another thread...

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
If you compare the lettering to what is one the 50' cars you will find that it is the same, the only difference is that it takes up ore of the side than what it would on the longer car and periods were not used with the Block Gothic.  Look at page 75 of the Seaboard - Coast Line Modeler, Winter 2013 issue, to see what I mean.  Wood cars also recieved this size of lettering it is just a wider area for lettering on 50' cars making it look different...

Wood... http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/pic/2005/fruit/car.asp

Steel plug-door... http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenspunn/4686549493/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:18:41 PM by jmlaboda »