Author Topic: Printer Giant HP Slated to Announce 3D Printer Line  (Read 1396 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +839
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +521
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Printer Giant HP Slated to Announce 3D Printer Line
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
Looks just like a laptop.  :)

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +390
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »
Me too.  Odd that they chose that photo rather than one from there vast line of printers and scanners.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +839
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
I'd rather they concentrate on a printer that will print white.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1821
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
I'd rather they concentrate on a printer that will print white.

You mean a consumer-grade and consumer-priced unit?
It has been available for over 15 years, but unfortunately it is no longer made and it has almost reached its end of supported life.  But some people acquired a stash of inks and spare printers for many more years of printing.

If you have the money, there are many industrial-grade printers which can print white (MT owns such a printer and they decorate more and more cars that way).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:07:13 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
I'm guessing the editor of the article said "get me a picture of a shiny object with the HP logo on it."  It will be interesting to see what they are up to.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2025
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
The printer will cost $50, but the "ink" will be $10,000.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
The printer will cost $50, but the "ink" will be $10,000.

+1
- Phil

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2448
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »
Cool it has a lint trap.  :trollface:

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:32 PM »
You mean a consumer-grade and consumer-priced unit? 

Of course...

It has been available for over 15 years, but unfortunately it is no longer made and it has almost reached its end of supported life.  But some people acquired a stash of inks and spare printers for many more years of printing.

(Sarcastically) Really?  (Seriously) Please tell me something I don't know.  I didn't jump at an ALPS because I didn't want to be an early adapter on that one.

If you have the money, there are many industrial-grade printers which can print white (MT owns such a printer and they decorate more and more cars that way).

Um, no.  But I'm surprised the consumer-priced tech isn't there considering the growing deluge of hipster DIY publishers and suburb-dwelling scrapboogers with buying power.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Alps MD printers (and their user community) is still thriving. I only jumped on the bandwagon around 2004 myself (not an early adopter).  :D

As far as a consumer printer that prints white goes (and of course which is capable to overlay printing), I suspect that there aren't many consumers who would need that functionality.   I suspect less than 10,000 worldwide.  Way too small of an audience for any company to produce and support a whole new printer.

Alps was a anomaly. It was designed to be a consumer color printer but because of its oddball features, found a fringe following with hobbyists and cottage industry decal manufacturers.  Alps had no idea that this would happen.  They could still continue to produce these, but again, IMO the target market is way too small to make this a viable venture.

Alps is a incredible (and very frustrating) printer.  It can produce very sharp small lettering (much better than  the expensive ink jet Micro Trains uses for decorating many of their cars). This is because the thermal transfer printing by design produces sharp dots. Inkjet suffer from a spatter effect where th ink dots spatter on the substrate, causing a fuzzy edges.  But ink jet printers deal much better with halftone colors. Again, because of the sharp printing (and resolution limit) Alps' halftones are rather coarse looking where ink jet printed colors look much smoother.

It would be nice if a replacement for Alps would come to the consumer market, but I won't hold my breath.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:03:46 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +521
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
It would be nice if a replacement for Alps would come to the consumer market, but I won't hold my breath.

Wasn't the Kodak First Check the replacement?

Jason

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
Wasn't the Kodak First Check the replacement?

Jason

No, that printer  has also been discontinued.  It was actually a re-badge of OKI DP-7000 (along with a certain model of the Kimosetter printer).  DP-7000 was a wide-format printer based on the Alps MicroDry printing technology (same as the Alps MD series of printers).  These were quite a bit more expensive than the Alps MD printers, targeting commercial graphic studios.

The same printing technology was also used on certain Roland DG  vinyl printers/cutters, like PC-60 (also all discontinued).  There were also few other re-badged versions of Alps MicroDry printers - all discontinued.
--- Peteski de Snarkski