Author Topic: Bachmann GP shell removal?  (Read 844 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Bachmann GP shell removal?
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:12:34 PM »
Anyone know the trick to getting the shell off this bugger? I don't want to jam a tool in there and mangle the sill. Tried the short drop sudden stop with a box lid but no dice.

Thanks,
The S.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
Re: Bachmann GP shell removal?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
Super tight fit
Do NOT grab the trucks as a leverage point
I ripped one of the side frames off doing that

Use the fuel tank as a grip point

I think that's how I did it

Oh

Also
Don't program it with a digitrax product
These units need 14-16V to take a command and the digitrax supposedly only puts out 13

Also  using JMRI to rewrite everything does wonky things to it as well (CV's)

These last 2 comments courtesy of my conversation with bachman service  when inquiring about replacement side frames

The E

PS a LL shell will NOT fit on it 
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Shell removal is somewhat difficult, as the thing is on there really tight. I wound up removing the trucks (they pop off easily) and then inserted a small screwdriver between the shell and the chassis up on the cab end. This allowed me to pry the shell up far enough that I was eventually able to pull it off. But yikes, it's a daunting process. One thing to watch out for is the decoder board - if it moves around too much during this process (it tends to want to grab onto the shell), it's possible to mess up the wipers on the board such that they are no longer in contact with the chassis (don't ask me how I know this). Fortunately, they're easily adjusted - just unclip the board from the chassis and restore their downward bend.

Cheers,
-Mark

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
Yes
Decoder board fit is sketchy as well

A simple wiggle made a difference... Seemed to " sit better"

Run quality is good

Maintenance is just a bit tough
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot tonight if I make it home from work before the streetlights come on. I've had this GP for awhile, and its got quite a few miles on it. My experience so far is that the "new" design Bachmann locos, the mechs are great -fantastic even, but the decoders are just pure junk and they get worse with more run time. I wanted to pop the shell to give the mechanism a good maintenance cleaning/lube. And while I have the shell off, detail it up and maybe a brain transplant. I had a 44T that exhibited the same behavior, performed a brain transplant with a Digitrax decoder and she ran better than when she was new.

The S.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:56:20 PM by sizemore »