Author Topic: Water  (Read 1114 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Water
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
Anyone use Realistic Water by Woodland Scenics?  Picked up a 16 oz bottle cheap at a recent show and just wanted to know you thoughts.  Any tricks on application, etc.

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
If your pour it too thick, it will never dry.  It generally is a bit "softer" than some of the other products, too. (Someone put a coke can on my lake and it left a ring.)

I much prefer "Magic Water" which is a lot more like Envirotex as it cures to a harder surface.

I'm pretty sure that the Woodland Scenics products is some form of gloss medium, as it is a single container.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
I am not a fan of either WS Realistic Water or Magic Water, so I'm not of much help other than to say check the thread(s) on scenery/water techniques for lots of ideas.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=32017.0

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=15653.0

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=29432.0
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:08:33 PM by David K. Smith »

Baldylox

• Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:53:02 PM »
I just recently used it on a small cross section of an Ntrak module ~30" long or so.  Dried its about .25" at deepest spot. It shrinks ALOT! I used gte whole bottle. Took all of a week to not seem tacky and set enough for me to transport. First pour was over some brown paint and sculptamold shaped riverbed 2nd is where I added my details like boulders , trees and other stuff as I wanted it above the water line. Final pour was just to wet my banks and have it a tad deeper over my underlying shape

Follow all the advise. Seal your edges, seal foam, wood etc. keep area ventilated. It's no too noxious but in a small space it irritating to my nose.

Oh one thing I did do was dropped in some paint on my 2nd pour  not a lot,must enough to make the color progress down my slightly down hill pour over a few days. Less work using water effects afterward

Only time will tell how it really stiffens up and hoe it handles traveling to shows

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:07:27 AM »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Bob,

I've got an unopened box of Envirotex Lite that you can have the next time I see you, if you like.  In fact, I'm supposed to see "seusscaboose" this weekend, and I can leave it with him.  I bought the Envirotex when I built my lake, so it's not too old.  I used DKS' suggestion for Gloss Gel and decided not to use the Envirotex.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!