Author Topic: UP COLA & C&NW E8  (Read 1024 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
UP COLA & C&NW E8
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
If they did I know it would have been a very short time frame but would you have seen Kato's C&NW E-8's pulling the COLA?  I have seen photos of E-7's pulling it but not e-8's.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: UP COLA & C&NW E8
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
 :|     I believe you are right, I have never seen photos of their E-8's on the cities trains, just E-7's, one of which was wrecked in September 1951in a rear end collision that killed 17 near Wyuta, Wyoming (Utah Sate line) in a blizzard. See the book, "The Union Pacific in Cheyenne" for details. The Northwestern had to pay to have the train sheds raised in Chicago at Northwestern Station to accommodate dome cars, they were not to happy about this since they did not get any dome cars at the time, but that was not the main reason they pulled out of the agreement to haul the trains Omaha / Council Bluffs to Chicago. Passenger losses were the main cause. Nate Goodman (Nato).

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
I can't answer your question, but I hope you won't mind if I pose another.

By '54-'55, were the C&NW units on the COLA painted in C&NW's yellow and green or UP colors?

Sorry for the interruption.

Jim

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »
The UP in 1955 changed from using C&NW tracks to Milw tracks so does that mean C&NW no longer had a vested interest in the COLA and it would be unauthorized as well as out of form to advertise the COLA coupled ( pun intended ) with the C&NW name ? Had that change of ROW not changed would C&NW have repainted and used an E-8 or two to replace the E-7 .......... maybe . Did C&NW know or had wind of the ROW change prior to 1955 ........ maybe .

Richie Dost

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
 :|         The Prewar and Post War Streamliner locomotives all had Yellow and brown then gray (1941) color scheme they were jointly owned so when the new 900 numbering system was applied to all passenger diesels for Daily Streamliner start up in 1947/48 letter prefix's were applied after numbers, on 3 unit locomotives A for cabs, B or C for boosters, and if jointly owned a J after the first letter IE: C J on a booster. I have only seen one photo (maybe in Bill Kratville UP Streamliner book) of a post war C&N W E-7 painted in yellow , but lettered for Chicago & Northwestern. Apparently this did not last very long, the jointly owned locomotive sets (three units) were broken up and locos went to their owners by 1950. SP received the former SF 1 E-2 A Unit, painted it in daylight colors, then rebuilt it into the Famous "Queen Mary" an E-7 A several years after E-7 production had ended. Northwestern received the former LA 1 E-2 A do not know if it was repainted to yellow & green. In the 1954-55 time era Northwestern supplied to equalize mileage, green and yellow E-7's. Southern Pacific who was used  ALCO PA's by then never allowed them to run through. Nate Goodman (Nato).