Author Topic: Trenton Transportation Company  (Read 49349 times)

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Trenton Transportation Company
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »

About a year ago I became involved with an animal rescue organization, and agreed to help them by purchasing a piece of land where they could build animal shelters.

My hat is off to you. I am involved in the same type of things. (just dealing with the animals).

This new plan, with the tomix track, how well would a Bachmann 44 ton unit handle these curves and frogs?
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
I'd be interested to see a tiny layout plan that had the passing track along the long axis of the benchwork, even if that meant a slightly wider layout. I'd expect curved turnouts to be used for this arrangement. A passing track on the long side would eliminate any need of switchbacks to industries inside the loop, yet still allow spurs to come off the main on the opposite side.

Unfortunately, curved switches are space hogs. The layout would have to grow by nearly double its linear dimensions to accommodate two curved switches. I realize switchbacks are rare beasts, but they do solve the problem of accessing the central area of a small oval that would otherwise be unreachable directly off the main.

This new plan, with the tomix track, how well would a Bachmann 44 ton unit handle these curves and frogs?

I haven't run any tests yet, since the track has not arrived. I may be stuck using something else--who knows!

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »
Well, if that's the size range you're after, then I wouldn't bother with that plan--I did it more as an exercise, knowing full well it was totally absurd. Why not just use the TTC plan? It's the same size and far more sensible.

Thou speakith the truth.

I could see it being turned into a nice little set-up for my 57xx to make some loops and move some wagons about.
It could also be a good place for my A5 to stretch out (when the A5 is up and running that is).

Only one question remains...   Could it be shrunk?  :trollface:
The tiny switches and tight radiuses of Tomix track provide interesting opportunities for some ridiculously compact layout without having to handlay.

I'm curious as to what era and season you'll be choosing for this new layout.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »
Only one question remains...   Could it be shrunk?

Yes, as a matter of fact. When I was designing this layout, I kept on shrinking it to determine what the practical limit might be; I got it down to 13 x 24.

The problem is that it uses a lot of 4" radius curves, and not much is going to negotiate them. As it is, I may need to revert to an earlier version of the plan (below) if the super-short turnouts prove to be a problem--I ordered some extras of the "normal" ones just in case.

But, if 4" curves are OK, you can go smaller still; however, you then have almost no room left for structures. At 10 x 17, this one would fit on an open 3-ring binder:

I'm curious as to what era and season you'll be choosing for this new layout.

Summer, late 50s.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:59:23 PM by David K. Smith »

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »
Dude,

You are nothing short of awesome...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
David, that's going to be a neat little layout.
It's always amazing to me how you and Chris can turn out these nice, realistic, little layouts complete with structures, roads and sometimes even scenery while many of us are still working on our first ones. I am looking forward to seeing more pix.

Thanks, for sharing and I hope you are feeling better.

Barry

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 09:48:23 AM »
Yes, as a matter of fact. When I was designing this layout, I kept on shrinking it to determine what the practical limit might be; I got it down to 13 x 24.

The problem is that it uses a lot of 4" radius curves, and not much is going to negotiate them.

It may end up pushing the limits of my A5, but it may in fact just work. If not, then a Bachmann dockside is in order. Now to begin saving up to buy track.

Summer, late 50s.

Drought, or no drought? I could see you pulling off the look of a very hot and dry summer.

-Cody F.
Tired.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »
Cody, Do you need to go round in circles or could a shelf work?

Greyryder

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »

I asked the same thing. Roundy was something he wanted.

:)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »

My feelings go back-and-forth day-by-day. I love switching maneuvers, but I also enjoy watching trains roll through a well-done scene.

-Cody F.
Tired.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
I haven't run any tests yet, since the track has not arrived. I may be stuck using something else--who knows!

WARNING! LEFT FIELD COMMENT IN ROUTE.....

If the 44 tonner and 40' cars will not work, what about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molli_railway

Or maybe something using one of these locomotives:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_V_60

and using small, 2 axel and 3 axel freight like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ITL_Hbillns_DD_Neustadt.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SBB-Hbbillns21852462671-8.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hbills310und311-in-Crailsheim.jpg
those are all modern, but if you were shooting for the 1950-1960's you could even go with something more like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G%C3%BCterwagen_Oppeln_der_DR_(heute_im_Besitz_der_Freunde_der_historischen_Hafenbahn_e.V.).jpg

I know it's a completely left field idea, but if you end up in a situation where american rolling stock won't work, this might be a fun idea....

I'll go back to my corner now.  :scared: :trollface:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:08:05 PM by David K. Smith »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 06:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, Mike, but I'm not at all into European railroading. If it doesn't work, then I'll revise the track plan.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
If it doesn't work, then I'll revise the track plan.

And speaking of... I've just received a pack of Unitrack "Compact" curves I'd ordered a while back for evaluation, and ran some tests. The B-mann 44- and 70-tonners just barely make it through the 6" radius curves. Thus Tomix track won't work--their equivalent curve is 5.5" radius, and because of their odd radii steps, the next size up forces the layout to be quite a bit larger. So, it's time for Plan B: the Unitrack version. It is a little disappointing as I'll lose over half the car capacity. I really was looking forward to trying Tomix track--maybe I'll build something else with it. Meantime, here's the revised plan:

I'm shy a couple of pieces, so I can't start laying track just yet, but I have time; I'll just work on structures.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
Which pieces do you need?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
Wait for the Tomix to show up, maybe you can squeeze even more loco juice.