Author Topic: A word about the "new" MicroScale decals  (Read 2761 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: A word about the "new" MicroScale decals
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »
At risk of thread drift, what is a good resource for reefer modeling? Thinking more "what cars are appropriate for a region/era" rather than "how do I make this car exactly perfect"

Find tons of freight consists photos from the region/era you are interested in.  Easiest way is to review current railroad books that cover the region/era.  Then tally up what you see.  Focus on the roads/schemes that appear the most frequently.

You also could try to hunt down wheel reports from the time period, but that is a far more difficult and time-consuming task.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
I'm also surprised to hear that "old" (whatever that means) Microscale decals were troublesome./quote]

"Old" MS decals (Krasel Industries) were excellent for detail, color, and never seemed to dry out or get brittle through the years (or decades), but there was the problem of some of the lettering (esp number strips) being so close together that it was hard to cut them out without damaging or destroying the adjoining ones. The dimension data sheet, all the very small letters of class, build dates, etc., is also like this.
The real problems came with the "intermediate" MS decals, that had to be done with different type inks because of government regulations. Those did not hold up over time (and thus disintegrated when they hit the water) and sometimes the small stuff was too fuzzy or faint to look right.
Apparently MS has got the new ink printing cleared up now. These latest versions are excellent.
As for "negative" MS comments, I read here at time complaints about them dropping a set, or grumbling that they should make this or that railroad markings. Even the backhanded comment about MS ought to have the PFE data sheet right because there's so much info out there wasn't exactly a compliment.
And Gary, rest easy -- I'm not making a whole fleet of PFE reefers to roam the NH-ish, I just got some free decals and free paint and had a car that was a good candidate for conversion. However does anybody make a reasonably accurate version of an FGE ice reefer with swinging doors?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:58 PM »
So the negative comments were not about the decal quality, but about their business tactics.  That makes more sense. You original commend seemed to indicate that there were quality problems with the decals themselves. 

Unfortunately, the number of craftsman-type of modelers is dropping fast. Everybody wants ready-to-run stuff. That is why the amount of craftsman type of supplies (paints and decals) is also being reduced.  Sad but true.
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
... However does anybody make a reasonably accurate version of an FGE ice reefer with swinging doors?

InterMountain's 40' wood reefer has hinged doors and is an accurate model of an FGE prototype.  The body rides high but the dimensions are accurate.  Multiple FGE schemes from different eras have been released on the model multiple times with multiple road numbers.  The prototype lasted well into the 1970s.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »
To respond to the OP, the modeller/historian/researcher who provided the information and correct lettering styles for the "new" MS PFE set was Tony Thompson, long-time SP modeller, presenter of clinics on PFE car styles and operations, and principal of Signature Press.  A full description of the process of preparing the material for this decal set may be found on his "Modeling the SP" blog for July 2013:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.ca/2013/07/the-new-microscale-pfe-decal-set.html

There is also an entry regarding kitbashing various PFE classes - albeit in the "Horribly Oversize" scale!

Edit:  I should have read Tony's blog more carefully before I posted this message!  He credits a modeller by the name of Dick Harley with doing the research!!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:27:47 AM by PGE_Modeller »

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
So the negative comments were not about the decal quality, but about their business tactics.  That makes more sense. You original commend seemed to indicate that there were quality problems with the decals themselves. 

Unfortunately, the number of craftsman-type of modelers is dropping fast. Everybody wants ready-to-run stuff. That is why the amount of craftsman type of supplies (paints and decals) is also being reduced.  Sad but true.
Tough to be a "craftsman type modeler" anymore.Never mind that ten years ago,I had fifteen hobby shops within an hour drive where I can buy anything I wanted,now I'm down to a "train shop" in a room in a flea market,and he has prety much nothing.Nearly everything I use,paint,plastic,putty,is disappearing,and what I can get,I gotta order it.I pretty much hate Microscale these days,they dropped nearly every single set of decals I use,and at 6 bucks a set,the quality BETTER be good.
  Their customer service even stinks now.I sent them an E-mail LAST SUNDAY about info on some decals they make,didn't even BOTHER mailing me back...If it wasn't for Max finding me a pile of stuff,I'd be done.If I want to continue actual modeling,I'm gonna have to change eras and go to CR or post CR D&H..Luckily,I have enough stockpiled to finish what I actually want in my era.