Author Topic: New Heavyweight Baggage car suggestions for MTL  (Read 18358 times)

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
Re: New Heavyweight Baggage car suggestions for MTL
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
Suggestions: CNR express baggage cars!
Seen on trains throughout Canada, and on US trains such as the Maple Leaf (Lehigh Valley), International Limited (Grand Trunk Western), and Central Vermont, and in locations like Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Durand, and New York City.   

CNR 8600-8706 http://rr-fallenflags.org/cn/cn-b8657jpa.jpg
CNR ordered 107 BA-73-A class 73' express / baggage cars between 1919 and 1924. ATP for car design 1919-1980s (last two in 1992).
The cars in series BA-73-A were 73'6" inside length and 76' 9" overall length. 13' door spacing w/ two 6' doors. As built, the cars had four windows per side. The windows were plated over on some cars. Standard roof. A few cars were modernized to have a roofline similar to the roofline of lightweight cars built in the 1950s. These cars had new modern doors with large windows. Truck centers 57' 6" (30) and 55' 7" (77).

CNR 8707-8718
11 BA-73-B 73' express / baggage cars same length as the A class but with wider 22' door spacing w/ two 6' doors. As built, the cars had five windows per side. The windows were plated over on some cars. Standard roof. Truck centers 55' 7".

CNR 8719-8738 (Updated)
The cars in series BA-73-C were the same length, but had 6' ad 8' doors (split door) and 16' door spacing, with a Turtle roof and new modern doors with large windows. The first order (to 8727) had 4 windows per side as built, but the others did not. All had truck centers 55' 7".

All the cars ran on 6-wheel drop equalizer cast steel trucks with bolt on pedestals and journal bearings. Although most of the cars were retired and scrapped in the late 1960s and early 1970s a few survived in company service into the 1980s with the last two scrapped in 1992.

My two cents worth.
Michael Livingston
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:07:30 AM by thbguy »
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Glad to see that at least MTL has ears.
Although not representing MTL on TRW, he is a great asset among  :ashat:
Although I would love to see more PRR prototypes on the market, all but the first of these four Reading cars would be great to see. And if we could perhaps get PRSL slung onto some...  :D

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
...filter privileges...

Do we have those.  I must like 20 years in arrears.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
If I have a vote (and I have about 15 MT heavyweights, so maybe I do), I would opt for something along the lines of the Erie car nominated earlier.  Or, say, an L&N 1402 series car, that would be generally similar.  These are both 70' (int. dimension) cars, much more common than 80' cars.

80' cars would be interesting, but most that I have seen real railroads are rebuilds from Pullman cars.  Which usually means plated over doors, which can add visual interest.  Many railroads had such rebuilds.

And, if MT is not going to do a 60' baggage (NYC) or 60' combine, those seem like ideal candidates for resin shells to fit over the RPO frame- or just a cut and paste job with the RPO itself- that being what the  real railroads did with their older RPOs.

One suggestion I would like to put forward (I did not read all the entries here, so may have been suggested already, I note that alternate roofs were suggested) would be to do a little extra tooling, and provide 2 or 3 door styles, allowing us to "customize" or "modernize" a bit.  Many cars that had wooden doors with several windows when built, later got steel doors with one or 2 windows.  For those of us who model the 50s, being able to change out doors would be a big help.  This is along the line of what WoT did, that allows them to customize their basic ACF car.  I just wish they would include spare doors with the off the shelf cars, since in all likelihood, I am going to strip the paint and make it into some roadname they don't supply.

Keep up the good work. The MT heavyweights are one of the best values in N scale today- and I say that even though you haven't yet marketed a single car I really want (ATSF, L&N, Erie, etc. circa 1956). I am planning to read up on Bob Chapman's HO kitbashes in hopes of making one of those PRR diners look more L&N.

Anyway, thanks for asking. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.