Author Topic: Chinese Atlas GP38/40 Parts  (Read 1443 times)

Power Stroke

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Chinese Atlas GP38/40 Parts
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
I am specifically looking for truck assemblies but scale speed motors as well. Atlas has nothing, and ebay also has the donut.
Does anyone have reliable sources?

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Chinese Atlas GP38/40 Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »
Hopefully there's somebody out there that knows, but as they are considered 'classics', aren't the truck assemblies from the GP30/35 interchangeable with the GP40, and the same with the motor?

Atlas still shows those parts online for the 30/35.  They show the motor, but not the trucks, for the GP40. 

Also be aware that if you're relatively handy, you can adapt just about any of the slow-speed motors into the classic frame, the way Atlas does their motors there's really only two motors - the original black-frame high-speed classic, and the lower-speed gray-frame.  They put that low-speed motor in nearly all of their diesels, but it's a different part number due to the chassis hanger used, also which flywheels are on the shafts.

Bluntly, I'd call Atlas, I'll bet you can find something that will work.  I see the C630/C628 motors are out there, those are definitely slow-speed.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
According to a fairly recent post by Atlas (either Paul or Cory), all their current motors are slow speed.  But they also stopped using gray plastic, so the new slow speed motors are all black.  Just to confuse us....  :D
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
I'm not aware that Atlas ever changed the trucks.  They are the same.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
The place to check on Ebay for those items is http://stores.ebay.com/That-Train-Place?_trksid=p4340.l2563 If any body would have them I would guess it would be this guy.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »
According to a fairly recent post by Atlas (either Paul or Cory), all their current motors are slow speed.  But they also stopped using gray plastic, so the new slow speed motors are all black.  Just to confuse us....  :D

Yeah, Paul wrote that in a response to my concerns, but I don't buy it. I have two of the last batch of GP7/9's that have the black motor and they are faster than the gray motors (but not like the old fast motors).

Motor part number depends on flywheel size, speed, and hex vs dogbone. The older (non-DCC) GP30/35 motors will most likely not fit the GP40, as the GP30/35 flywheels were pretty big.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
I just took a Atlas Classic GP30/35 mech that I took the trucks out of and put the type B trucks off a Masterline B23-7 into it and it runs just fine. I have ordered trucks in the past and noticed the part numbers for the 30/35 trucks is 460300 and the GP38/38-2/40/40-2 is 480300. So since I had the trucks off the classic frame just sitting here and was working on putting a decoder into a GP38 Masterline mechanism, I tossed the 30/35 trucks and test ran it.  It ran as well as before I noticed no difference. Seemed fine to me.  I am guessing the differences are either in dimensions or details, if any at all.  I placed them side by side and they looked the same except the 30/35 trucks were a little lighter shade in color than the 38 trucks.  So if anyone knows I am now curious as to the differences.  Sorry,  I didn't try to swap motors those little copper tabs cause me a tad bit o'stress and had them right where I wanted them. 

Power Stroke

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »

Well the only thing I know for sure is the motor on their website is black and nowhere does it say scale speed. I'm looking to replace a couple of '97 vintage motors that have 2 speeds,
stop and holy crap!

The place to check on Ebay for those items is http://stores.ebay.com/That-Train-Place?_trksid=p4340.l2563 If any body would have them I would guess it would be this guy.

Been there. Plenty of six axle and GE stuff but no GP 38 or 40 hardware, even only a couple of shells.

I just took a Atlas Classic GP30/35 mech that I took the trucks out of and put the type B trucks off a Masterline B23-7 into it and it runs just fine. I have ordered trucks in the past and noticed the part numbers for the 30/35 trucks is 460300 and the GP38/38-2/40/40-2 is 480300. So since I had the trucks off the classic frame just sitting here and was working on putting a decoder into a GP38 Masterline mechanism, I tossed the 30/35 trucks and test ran it.  It ran as well as before I noticed no difference. Seemed fine to me.  I am guessing the differences are either in dimensions or details, if any at all.  I placed them side by side and they looked the same except the 30/35 trucks were a little lighter shade in color than the 38 trucks.  So if anyone knows I am now curious as to the differences.  Sorry,  I didn't try to swap motors those little copper tabs cause me a tad bit o'stress and had them right where I wanted them. 

Well I suppose I can go back to Atlas website and check for those. I think I may have seen them on ebay as well. Thanks for trying that out.

Stephen.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »
Stephen,his stock is changing all the time.I would suggest checking at least once a week.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made