Author Topic: Railroad road vehicles/trailers  (Read 3415 times)

baztrains

• Respect: 0
Railroad road vehicles/trailers
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
Hi all
I've just joined The Railwire and thought I'd introduce myself. For the past few months I've been creating models of Dry Bulk trailers for the HO market, and they seem to be going down well with modellers. These are 3D-printed models, which are available from a company called http://www.shapeways.com/, who have manufacturing plants in Europe and the USA. I had quite a few enquiries for S-scale versions of these trailers, and more recently, in N-scale. So with a little bit of adjustment to suit the manufacturing process and the finer material required for the smaller scale, I now have a selection of trailer models that I think will be of interest to N-scale model railroaders. Please search on the Shapeways site for 'dry bulk, LPG or MSW Trash' to and take a look at the  photos of my HO models (attached) to see what is achievable with a little patience/modelling skills (I consider myself an 'average' modeller). I hope these are of interest. Barry

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:30:02 PM by baztrains »

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: Railroad road vehicles/trailers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
Welcome to TRW, Barry. Yes we are very familiar with Shapeways. There are several members here that are designers on Shapeways like yourself.

These all look great, but obviously they are of HO-scale models. Do you have any of the shots of the actual N-scale prints?
James R. Will

baztrains

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Jimmo. I've seen a lot of the posts regarding Shapeways, and as you say, there are a lot of members already familiar with their 3D-printing. I've requested my customers send me photos of their N-scale trailers, but as yet, I've not had anything sent to me. I'm expecting an N-scale, Heil 1636 model to arrive tomorrow, so will hopefully have some out-the-box photos soon. I'm taking some of my HO designs to a railroad show in London in two weeks (yes, I'm a 'Limey'!), so I probably won't have much time to work on the N-scale 1636. Watch this space though. Barry

Rockysgn

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Hello Barry
I just got two of your trailers and they look great. As soon as I get them painted I will post photos. Maybe you could come up with a gooseneck equipment trailer as well.

thanks LARRY

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
Hi Barry, welcome to TRW.

All of the trailers look good in HO, but I would be very interested in the LPG unit with one change. I do not see many 3 axle trailers so to fit my era they need to be 2 axle units. Otherwise it is a nice looking project. Something else that is needed in N scale, in my opinion, are some truck and trailer ( body load and pup ) units for petroleum products.

Carl
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:31:21 PM by carlso »
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 02:09:01 AM »
I'm waiting for those dry bulk pups to become available. It appears that they could run in pairs, any chance of a two-pack?
James R. Will

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »
How about that transloader??? Nice looking stuff!
Rick

baztrains

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
Hi guys
Well my N-scale 1636 dry bulk trailer arrived yesterday and I must admit to being very impressed. The detail on this model is pretty amazing, even the holes in the deck plates have printed. The model arrived with the usual layer of wax/oil which is used in the manufacturing/cleaning process, but I dipped the model a few times in 75 deg C water and this removed the worst. The water soon becomes contaminated, so I dipped several times in fress hot water, before finally brushing with Isopropyl Alcohol cleaner. I didn't do any sanding-down, but gave it a quick coat of Rustolem grey primer aerosol. I took some close-up photos, but they really do show up every little blemish, so I took some from around 10" away. I think they will look great on a layout from 'normal' viewing distance, especially with a decal or two added and some weathering. If anyone is interested in having some of my HO trailers converted to N, please message me. Barry

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:47:58 AM by baztrains »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
Barry,

These look very nice. You are a very talented designer. I wonder if there is a market for a design service. Many of us want to try 3D printing but the overhead in learning the CAD process is a bit steep. Just a thought. Let me know if you are interested as I have a couple of simple projects in mind.

As for the dry bulk trailers, do you know what era of your various models. I model the early 1970s and would like to incorporate cement and flour unloading from a team track. Are any of your models applicable for this time period?

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
What is the pricing for your n scale dry bulk trailers?

Eric

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »
James R. Will

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Barry,

Just looked at the link posted above. The LPG trailer is just what I need. Vey nice. It is not available as yet. It will be when you are finished adjusting? ? ?

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Jmwilson

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »
yea I'm gonna need some lpg trailers and some dry bulk, very nice models.

Kev1340

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
I'm definitely interested in your dry bulk trailers, but what I could really use in N scale is your conveyor unloader, if it is possible.

Cheers,

Kev

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
I'm definitely interested in your dry bulk trailers, but what I could really use in N scale is your conveyor unloader, if it is possible.

Cheers,

Kev

+1
James R. Will