Author Topic: New Hangar kit with a Cessna 172  (Read 4094 times)

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
New Hangar kit with a Cessna 172
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
Waiting on some details for the inside, hoping to add a bit more detailing on the outside but here's another SBM kit almost ready for takeoff!
Airplane (will have a prop and the decals in kit) and truck are included. This will likely be a limited run, we'll see how it goes. I'm also planning to make other makes of aircraft available on the side.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
Re: New Hangar kit with a Cessna 172
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
I like it...and being I'll probably be in the general aviation field soon...

Now to get a true, 1:160 F-15C, post MSIP and 757 and 737 fuselages.  But mostly the F-15s, I wanna do this one, in N and in 1:48
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15C/1490587/L/&sid=d419a3dbc28376ec46c4342a7359c120

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +484
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
That's a great way to model the edge of any smaller airfield; I know it would work great as an outlying hangar for a model of either the airfield back home or the one up here in Clemson; some of the smaller hangars are just open air but I see now reason why this couldn't be substituted
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
Very nice Karin!
. . . 42 . . .

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:14:19 AM »
Awesome!  A small airfield is definitely on the radar (no pun intended) for my next layout so I'm interested.   Did you ever sell any of the planes?  I had expressed interest in those but never heard anything else.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »
Awesome!  A small airfield is definitely on the radar (no pun intended) for my next layout so I'm interested.   Did you ever sell any of the planes?  I had expressed interest in those but never heard anything else.

Hi Doug, I'm going to start out with only including the 172 with the kit since it takes awhile to get them in quantity for affordability. But I will sell them alone not long after the kit has had a chance to be released. But, I will be selling Cessna 310's and Biplanes individually about the same time that the hangar is released.

Its fun working on airplanes too and you don't have to have the whole airport. We had a lot of hangars like this around where we lived because folks would simply take off from a nearby field. BTW, the door doesn't have to be put on at all if you don't want a door.

Here is what I'm trying to model

A pre-wired micro LED, with resistor attached, will be provided for the light. I have some containers coming in for the inside office and I have drawn a cover for the front of the eave so that the split doesn't show and might add an air conditioner unit on top of said interior container. There is plenty of room to add custom touches. You almost need to leave the door off to see some of those details.

Have fun with this.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
I like it...and being I'll probably be in the general aviation field soon...

Now to get a true, 1:160 F-15C, post MSIP and 757 and 737 fuselages.  But mostly the F-15s, I wanna do this one, in N and in 1:48
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15C/1490587/L/&sid=d419a3dbc28376ec46c4342a7359c120

There's a couple of designers that have F-15s on Shapeways. You might be able to convince one of them to upscale their 1/200 or 1/285 scale models to 1/160. Just do a search on F-15 Eagle.
James R. Will

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
Hey Karin, what is your hangar model made of? It appears that the prototype picture is a common aviation metal structure.
James R. Will

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 01:25:49 AM »
Perfect for a small airfield like this one in south Anchorage along the Alaska Railroad.
http://binged.it/1i75lx0

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:40 AM »
Hey Karin, what is your hangar model made of? It appears that the prototype picture is a common aviation metal structure.
Its acrylic made to look like a metal building  :D

Perfect for a small airfield like this one in south Anchorage along the Alaska Railroad.
http://binged.it/1i75lx0

Best wishes, Dave

Dave, is that Oceanview Dr? Friends of ours had their airplane behind their house on Nora Rd. I forget the name of that airstrip..... Shoot, I didn't have to zoom out very far and spotted two of the homes I lived in there in South Anchorage. Zooming out a tad more were another two on or near the Hillside. Wow, Anchorage has gotten a LOT more roundabouts since I was there!

Thanks Dave, you knew what I was picturing when I said you don't need an airport to have a hangar. But Anch really isn't the norm, right? :P

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
Wow, Anchorage has gotten a LOT more roundabouts since I was there!

I must have missed them all when I was there, didnt see a single one!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
Dave, is that Oceanview Dr? Friends of ours had their airplane behind their house on Nora Rd. I forget the name of that airstrip..... Shoot, I didn't have to zoom out very far and spotted two of the homes I lived in there in South Anchorage. Zooming out a tad more were another two on or near the Hillside. Wow, Anchorage has gotten a LOT more roundabouts since I was there!

Thanks Dave, you knew what I was picturing when I said you don't need an airport to have a hangar. But Anch really isn't the norm, right? :P

Yes, that is Oceanview Drive.  I turned the labels off on the linked image for clarity. Google thinks that the name of it is the Flying Crown Airport, but they mainly care about places big enough to land their 737.
Roundabouts have made their appearance over the past couple of years. We try to keep them hidden from people from New England as they would be appalled at the lack of skill that AK drivers show when navigating them. If you zoom out a bit from the linked Bing image Ian you can see 4 new ones.  My son thinks that they are lame because they don't have fountains or statues inside them like they do in Europe. I thought we should have at least one 5ft high statue of Ted Stevens somewhere!

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Pilot's license included? :)

Looks awesome.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 05:38:43 AM »
Roundabouts have made their appearance over the past couple of years. We try to keep them hidden from people from New England as they would be appalled at the lack of skill that AK drivers show when navigating them. If you zoom out a bit from the linked Bing image Ian you can see 4 new ones.  My son thinks that they are lame because they don't have fountains or statues inside them like they do in Europe. I thought we should have at least one 5ft high statue of Ted Stevens somewhere!
Ok I did go through the one on Old Seward and Huffman when I went railfanning on E 120th...just must of spaced it

HAHAHA this is funny. When I arrived in AK and experienced the construction I was shocked to find that you needed a pilot car to get you through the zone. I was like WTF!?!! The worst one was on the way to Talkeetna where it was a pilot car for about ~12 miles...the wait was oh so lovely. The "nature" couple in the car behind me got out and started playing their guitars and hoola hooping  :facepalm:.... I punched my steering wheel.

Roundabouts to a point are new in New England. We've had them for about ~10 years now... where rotaries we have had for centuries and ace those buggers!!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1