Author Topic: The All Day & Night Railway Company in N scale  (Read 3732 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: The All Day & Night Railway Company in N scale
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »
You can with #5s, assuming one is OK using them.

Thanks David. I wasn't positive about this so thanks for the clarification.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the sketch Gary. I like that.

Tad

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »
You can with #5s, assuming one is OK using them.

I knew that you could use #5's like that since I am using Atlas #5's for the yard on my "learning lab" HCD layout.

My protoype, the AD&N, had #7's for industrial trackage, #8's in the yards, and #9's on the main. If I could actually get away with those sizes in my space I would.

I decided on #5's for industrial and yard tracks and #6's for crossovers and on the main.

I am only running four axle diesels and switchers and my longest cars are 65'.

I am also trying to be very careful about not having S curves that could cause problems.

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Gary,

I'm stealing it.  ;) Thanks, man. Your version was a vast improvement on mine.

Tad
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:57:40 PM by Tad_T »

Tad_T

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
How Monticello was switched.

Burlington Industries, the Tomato Shed, and the MoPac Piggyback yard were switched by the MoPac local from MeGehee.

The AD&N local switched Monticello like this.

The local reached Milepost 39 and that was the yard limit at Monticello.

The head-end brakeman would line the switch for the train to swing off of the AD&N main and onto the south leg of the wye.

Once the caboose cleared Gabbert Street the crew would break the train just ahead of the interchange cars.

The train would pull forward onto the MoPac main with the empty wood-rack cars and other cars for north of the wye at the head of the train  and back them onto the north leg of the wye and leave them there.

The locomotives would retrieve the interchange cars and pull them down the MoPac main into the interchange tracks.

Once the cars were set out on the interchange tracks the locomotives would runaround them and then retrieve the wood-rack and other cars from the wye and push them north.

The empty wood-rack cars would be set out at North Yard.

The other industries north of the wye would be worked.

The locomotives would pull the loaded wood-racks from North Yard.

Cars from this move would be pulled through the crossing and then shoved back through the south leg of the wye onto the MoPac main.

The Crossett-bound interchange cars would be coupled to and pulled.

The caboose was retrieved.

The local was ready to head back to Crossett.

So, the version of Monticello that I have come up with obviously can't be switched exactly like the prototype was.

One of the main reasons is that the wye is not in the same location as it was on the protoype. I tried a couple of different versions with a double wye, the interchange in a different place, a smaller interchange.

I didn't really like those and, except for the wye, everything in this version seems to be truer to the protoype.

I have thought about a few changes that might make this able to be switched more closely to the prototype.

One thing is to possibly add antoher track to the MoPac interchange on the south(left) side opposite of the PiggyBack ramp.

Since the wye is not situated protypically this would give a track to place the cars into that would need to be shoved out onto the peninisula.

After the interchange cars were set out this would allow the locomotives to runaround and pull the cars from that track and then shove them around the curve onto the peninsula.

I also thought about trying to flip the industries on the peninisula into a mirror image of what they currently are and try to go back to a wye onto the peninsula as in the first version I posted. If Gabbert Street was on the other side peninsula, I might could fit it in so that I didn't crunch the interchange, but I don't know.

I am open to and welcome suggestions.