Author Topic: Erie Huntington Division in N Scale  (Read 5212 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Erie Huntington Division in N Scale
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
This photo was taken in 1959 and said the new TCS office was built in 55-56

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
I am still digging out my Erie Huntington info, so I will post more later.  I haven't found info in the tower replacement, but I found a first hand account that the wooden tower was used in 1952.  I think it was replaced at the same time the CTC was installed and some of the double track was removed.  This was the middle to late 1950s.  Which siding are you asking about?  Is it the track that was north of Market street, and west of the mains?  I have a map that shows all of the track arrangements, but I couldn't find it.  I think there is info about this in the Bernard Sennstrom book.

I don't have the Sennstrom book. I'll put that on the list to get. I think we are talking about the same siding. Anyway it is the one closest to the photographer in the EL photo I am attaching. It's on the station side of the main. In the arial photo I'm posting earlier, you can see what looks to be boxcars on it. In Erie Facilities, there is a photo facing away from the station, looking toward the siding. It looks less angular than the older arial photo and curves more to line up beside the main. I can't really tell but I think there may be several tracks beside it. Maybe they added a track or two or took the old track out.

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
This photo was taken in 1959 and said the new TCS office was built in 55-56

Oh my, that picture is great. I've never seen a picture of both buildings standing. Were did you find that?

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
Tonight I bought he wire for the buss. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it wired over the next couple days. I still need to buy the wire to go from the frogs to the hex frog juicers I bought. At least I’ll be able to start test running soon.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »
Oh my, that picture is great. I've never seen a picture of both buildings standing. Were did you find that?

Erie official photos vol 3

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 12:11:40 AM »
Does this help at all? It is 1959:

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »
Is this the track you are talking about? I drew what I could guess was there.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 12:34:41 AM »
These are both 1967. It looks like the track might re-connect back to the main at the top of the photos.

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 05:58:39 AM »
These are both 1967. It looks like the track might re-connect back to the main at the top of the photos.

Thanks, I think between all of the arial pictures that I have a good idea how the track was in that area. Unfortunately I probably can't model much of that area. Now I guess the question is what did that track serve. I guess I'll have to ask my grandmother next time I talk to her or call the EL Historical Society or the Huntington County Historical Society.

DMetz

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
+1
Take a look at the Sanborn maps for more info on those sidings.  Many libraries have complete sets for all years, but anything newer than about 1922 are still under copyright.  It is harder to find free access to digital copies after 1922, but most libraries will let you make copies for a small fee.  The IU library has digital Sanborn maps for Huntington up to 1919.  They have newer, but you have to register to get to them. 

Follow this link:  https://libraries.indiana.edu/union-list-sanborn-maps 

Scroll way down to Huntington, and find the set from 1919.  Map 01 is the key that shows the locations of the other maps.  Map 13 is the main one you want to see.  It shows the station area, and most of the industries on the sidings in question.  There was an Erie freight house, a coal dealer, and a feed mill.  (At that time, the Erie railroad between Marion Ohio and the Indiana - Illinois state line was legally known as the Chicago and Erie - C&E).  Map 11 shows a stock yard and another coal dealer.  And map 8 shows the siding to deliver coal to the interurban power house.  Map 14 shows the Erie siding that went to the stone quarry, and some other industries in that area.

The aerial photos seem to show that these industries didn't change much between the 1919 maps, and the 1950's.  You may want to confirm this by looking for the newer Sanborn maps.

Dan

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 10:16:51 PM »
Based on the photos Chris333 found, this kit, available from the ELHS, would look great on your layout...

ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Based on the photos Chris333 found, this kit, available from the ELHS, would look great on your layout...

Actually, I have a pair that I will either kit bash into the slightly larger one that was in Huntington or build it per the instructions to be a close enough model.

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
+1
I have made some progress on the layout. I am now able to switch all of the sidings. I am trying to decide which way I should have the one building facing. It is currently on the backside of the siding. It is on the same side as the creamery on the other end of the layout. I am trying to decide if I want to change to the track on that siding. The pictures in this post are of the way it currently sits. the next post will have pictures of it switched.

jargonlet

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
+1
Here is the second option.

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 06:26:23 PM »
I like the first option the best, visually it looks the cleanest. With the turnout placement as is, the track work would be too convoluted to snake behind the structure. In my eyes at least. Nice work on the building and rolling stock by the way, browsed through the thread and like where this one is heading  8)

-Lucas