Author Topic: Track cleaning (constantly)  (Read 3404 times)

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
Re: Track cleaning (constantly)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
I like the LifeLike track cleaning liquid - mainly  use it to soak a piece of coffee filter to clean loco wheels by running one truck at a time over the filter. I use a masonite pad track cleaning car with the pad soaked in 91 alcohol  to clean the track - have at times soaked the pad with the LifeLike but alcohol is cheaper. This should be done especially after cleaning with a BrightBoy type .

Al

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 12:59:51 AM »
 You know,I'm up in the air about the Life Like stuff..I used to use it in my Centerline cars.It was strange,though.No matter HOW much I used it,it would always pick up more and more black.Even if the track was seemingly spotless,the entire roller would have two deep black streaks all the way to the core.I seriously believe it was just turning the surface of the track black..

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4534
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:02:41 AM »
You know,I'm up in the air about the Life Like stuff..I used to use it in my Centerline cars.It was strange,though.No matter HOW much I used it,it would always pick up more and more black.Even if the track was seemingly spotless,the entire roller would have two deep black streaks all the way to the core.I seriously believe it was just turning the surface of the track black..

See my post for a possible explanation.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:15 AM »
Just like polishing metal, no matter how clean it will turn black when buffed.

Greyryder

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 01:13:39 AM »
I don't use abrasive cleaners, anymore. The Bright Boy always made the trains sound crunchy, after I used it, and they still didn't run that great. If the tracks are really dirty, like they were last week after four or five years of no running, I use Maas metal polish. (I know, polish is technically an abrasive) I use it as sparingly as possible, and wipe off any excess, afterwards. Things ran great after that, but the wheels seemed to get dirty again fairly quick. After that, the liquid cleaner on a piece of soft scrap fabric (old T-shirt, in this case) seems to work well for me. I pull the fabric over a small block of wood.

I had been putting the cleaner directly on the wood, but that was still giving me problems running.

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
 I use Alcohol first to clean loco wheels and the eventual grease on rails.
Then spry a drop on a piece of soft scrap fabric from a can of “Contacts cleaner” find in a Electronic components shop ( I don’t remember the brand, but I guess in US are different from Europe)