Author Topic: Athearn asking for N scale suggestions  (Read 5191 times)

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
Re: Athearn asking for N scale suggestions
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
Since this thread is now about Facebook....

..never felt any need to be on it.  Have no long lost friends who I need to speak with, no family I wan't to converse with I can't already do so over the phone, and have seen facebook do nothing but bad to the friends/family I do know who use it.

But I, unlike many today, truly value my anonymity.  Frankly, I'm rather unhappy a few folks here know my real name tbh.  I'd prefer that not be the case.

People knowing too much about you only leads to problems. 

What I'd like to see in N-scale is a larger variety of Ag Hoppers.  Passenger/Commuter GP units.  More RF&P Equipment.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:46:47 PM by Virginia Atlantic »
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
First, if you are on the net you are "public."  I belonged to Atlas from the beginning through all of its various configurations  and Trainboard, and Layout Design Sig, and .......  Frequently accounts were hacked, especially in the early days of forums and I would get virus and various crap.  I too have a public account which I usually give out when I want to keep my home email private.

Facebook:  I used to sound just like the disgruntled here about FB.  Then I actually started using it, a little at first then more and more.  And the very group that is turned off by it, I'm beginning to think are the very group to most benefit from it, the very old farts.

I've been in the military, both reg and reserve, and I grew up in a military family living in many of Canada's cities and number in the states.  I attended three high schools, one in Ontario, one in Wisconsin and one in Quebec.  I never had the stability of location that so many have grown up with, college and some of university was in Chicago.  Through FB and other means I have been able to link up with past friends from my various walks of life, not most of them but some of them - from Louisville to Chicago to New York to LA to Vegas to London and Montreal and Tasmania and a small community high up in the Hudson Bay area; and many more to numerous to mention.

I'm following a friend who just moved and began teaching in this high arctic small community as he teaches mostly Inuit, I followed a friend during her 6 month tour to Afghanistan in Souter and Phoenix, to my buddy in London writing books on terrorism, to a friend in Iqaluit in Nunavut again working with Inuit teens.

If you want privacy, quit the internet, don't participate in forums, and especially don't be an a$$ in forums, an acquittance didn't get hired when his to be employer google him and read some nasty things he wrote in some forums, whatever you write here is open for all to see.

Now back to why FB is a really old farts possible salvation.  Some of us will eventually suffer social isolation as friends and family die and we loose mobility and independence.  I know of a couple of grandparents who were dragged to FB not wanting to join but found they could follow their grand kids and their own kids by looking a pictures posted.  Now these same old farts now know the miracle of Skype.

Social media allows you to stay connect much better than in the past, my friend in Afghanistan was less isolated that when my father was peace keeping in the Suez Canal, my mother and I got the letter once every two weeks.  Skyping, texting and FB has been for some in the military, their best social tool to keep the isolation away.

And lastly, it drives me nuts when people who don't use a thing, in this case FB, yet consider themselves and expert on it.  If you don't use a thing, have never used that thing, then don't pretend to know what it is about, use it, abuse it, then comment on it.

And about Justin Beiber, during the Men's Olympic Gold medal game, it was agreed that whichever team lost would have to own Beiber, the States lost, he's yours now.  I don't know why we didn't throw Rob Ford into the mix as well.
Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
If you want privacy, quit the internet, don't participate in forums

I reject that idea out of hand.  It absolutely does not have to be an all-or-nothing proposition.  In point of fact, I'm on 3-4 other forums, and they know less than nothing about me in the real world after many years of posting.  Beyond your IP address (which if one wishes can also be masked/hidden), it's up to the individual how public or private they wish to be online.

And lastly, it drives me nuts when people who don't use a thing, in this case FB, yet consider themselves and expert on it.  If you don't use a thing, have never used that thing, then don't pretend to know what it is about, use it, abuse it, then comment on it.

You mean how some folks buy an Atlas Boxcar model and think they now know more about how a real railroad is run than the pros do? ;)

And about Justin Beiber, during the Men's Olympic Gold medal game, it was agreed that whichever team lost would have to own Beiber, the States lost, he's yours now.  I don't know why we didn't throw Rob Ford into the mix as well.

Canada has produced so much good music over the years.

And then there was Beiber.
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
I concur with the sentiment that Athearn do the Sulfuric Acid tank car in N scale. So needed... but not before they shrink the GP40-2L.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
I concur with the sentiment that Athearn do the Sulfuric Acid tank car in N scale. So needed... but not before they shrink the GP40-2L.

I forgot the 40-2L in my response!  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
This would be awesome.

This would be welcome.

Maybe I can get my Grandparents to post it to Facebook.  :)

Jason
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:33:41 PM by wcfn100 »

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
It would be nice for them to just run ANY of the N scale molds that they currently have. Wishing that they would do in N what they have already done in HO would be nice...there's a bunch of stuff that I would buy if they did that, but when they don't do what they already have, why would they do something new? MDC did have some nice cars that were only produced by MDC. Athearn and Walthers, two companies who have a bunch of N scale items that never seem to get run and then complain about how there is no interest in N scale...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »
" class="bbc_img

Is this is not the crew lounge?  Beiber appears in the thread at least three times, which makes it the equivalent editorially of People magazine.  Darn, now I said Beiber again.  Dang, I said Beiber again...  Make that five occurrences  :trollface:

In summary, I think we can agree. Athearn needs to do the following in n, in this order:

1. Molten sulphur tanks
2. Sulphuric acid tanks
3. GP40-2L
4. If they get around to it, some iconic steam locos.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »

And FB's success is responsible for diluting the importance of personal privacy, since, again, younger people simply don't have the life experience to understand what's at stake. :|

LOL Pre-internet the majority of Americans who met people from another country they did so to kill them.  How is it worse now?  Now, we may not know what they feel or smell like, but a lot more Americans know a lot more 'foreigners', and haven't killed them, and vice versa.  Despite my inclination towards in-person relationships, I'd say the world's better off with digital diplomacy.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
Funny, I have no desire to log in and share my opinion with them... guess that means I do not care.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
This would be awesome.

Jason

Amen to that.

Tank Train cars too.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
  How about a standard cab SD70!  I think there is only 4 roads so that might not help.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »
Said before here, and elsewhere - FEF-3. FEF-3, especially, would make for a UP excursion power trifecta for Athearn now that a Big Boy is coming out of mothballs. What could be a better path to making $$$ in N scale than an upper-mid-priced model of a popular locomotive good for modeling 1944 to 2014? A model you are already producing in another scale? Those opportunities don't come all that often.

This was the suggestion we made to Kato during all their rumor-mongering, but their interest seems to have fallen aside. Too bad.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Said before here, and elsewhere - FEF-3. FEF-3, especially, would make for a UP excursion power trifecta for Athearn now that a Big Boy is coming out of mothballs. What could be a better path to making $$$ in N scale than an upper-mid-priced model of a popular locomotive good for modeling 1944 to 2014? A model you are already producing in another scale? Those opportunities don't come all that often.

This was the suggestion we made to Kato during all their rumor-mongering, but their interest seems to have fallen aside. Too bad.

I also have in a FEF-3 but I feel that's a no-brainer , and a given winner . I hope if Kato does it they will not use the exsisting GS-4 drive line .

Richie Dost