Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/23/14  (Read 13231 times)

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
Re: Weekend Update 2/23/14
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
A day late and a dollar short but thought I would post up my latest laser kit build. I've been putting together the American Model Builders #619 Country Barn kit. A very nice kit but I have built it outside the box so to speak. I added a floor to the bottom and second floor as well. Also added interior posts and studs. All the coloring has been with chalks so far with the exception of the yellow in the right corner where it meets up with the farm house. Thought I would try to make it look like they have started to paint it to match. Still have some more things to do too it before I call it done.

Jon

I like it Jon, any chance of a photo of the farm house.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +345
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »
Completed 3 of Brian's vehicles (except for license plates).  These are really nice kits.  Left to right:  1950 Chevy, 1950 Nash, 1952 Buick.

Olympics done :facepalm:  Now lets get back to real hockey!  :x

Doug.

Wait, how'd you get these?  I missed the order.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
Depends on what part of the country he's modeling. Down south, when there was lightening protection, it was usually two short spikes.

True.
I think that Jon models New England, where those fancy lightning rods can be found on most barns and farm houses.

. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Vehicle kits
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
Yes, Microscale Krystal Klear.  Not the greatest effect, but it works. I heard someone mention another product?

Doug.

Gallery Glass by Plaid, available at Michael's or similar stores.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
After changing jobs, moving and just the other normal "life happens" type stuff I was finally able to get an unfinished project back out on the workbench.  This is a NYC Niagara based on the KATO GS-4 mechanism utilizing one of Superturbine's shell sets.  Finally finished the frame work and this is the "dry fit" test to see how everything lines up.  As you can see the mechanims only has enough parts on it to test height and fit.  The pilot is just sitting there, need to make a few minor adjustments prior to mounting it.  Still a lot of work to do, but I'm feeling motivated and please with the results so far.

Phillip

Glad to hear the move is behind you and you're "back". That said.... "East Coast" stuff, a departure from the usual "Golden Empire" stuff???
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
I like it Jon, any chance of a photo of the farm house.

Per Wardie's request.
Here's a shot of the farm house that will be attached to the barn. Still need to do something with the doors to the garage and the floor of it also. The kit is a Creative Laser Design kit (CLD-013) that I have changed up a little bit.
Jon

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
Yes, Microscale Krystal Klear.  Not the greatest effect, but it works. I heard someone mention another product?
Doug.

Pledge with Future works too,what you don't use for N scale windows works great on your hardwood floors too. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »
Pledge with Future works too,what you don't use for N scale windows works great on your hardwood floors too. :D

This stuff is as thin as milk. I wouldn't think it would fill a window.  I guess I'll have to try it.
. . . 42 . . .

Vince Gortner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
This is a Twin Cities Zephyr dome obs.  The main body is a Kato corrugated release Budd coach.  I move the vestibule to the opposite end and then added the observation end from a CZ dome obs.  Because the CZ cars have a raised roof aft of the dome section, I had been held up for some time trying to figure out how to lower the roof to get it to match up on this car.  Well, I finally started slicing into the roof over the observation end today, and in the process of making the first two cuts it dawned on me that I could just slice it and bend the roof down a bit to match... without having to cut the whole top off.   A little styrene filler and we're there.

Really nice!!  Will it be Silver Vista or Silver View?   A good friend of mine owns the real Silver View and he's in the process of restoring it for charter use.  Beautiful car! 

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +701
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
A good friend of mine owns the real Silver View and he's in the process of restoring it for charter use.  Beautiful car!

Hey, I know Mike A. too! Small world.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Vince Gortner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
Just the nicest guy you'd ever meet too!

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
Good stuff everyone!

Finally getting a few things done on some modules. Here are a couple of them...

I placed the new updated Klema Store in its location but haven't permanently attached it yet as I have a few things left to do first.

The weigh-scale is also in place. I need to add oil dropping and some weeds and such.

More updates are in the layout engineering report forum here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=17191.285

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
Like most model railroaders I spent considerable time and money to install  twin coil switch machines and controls for about 3 dozen turnouts(Peco, Shinohara and 2 Atlas) twenty some odd years ago. I have removed all of the twin coils and use the switch stands as pictured to throw the Pecos and power the frogs(after 20+ years some were getting  flaky in picking up power through the points), and to control the few remaining  Shinohara that are not controlled by slide switches which also provide frog polarity switching and  logic to light signals on two signal bridges and one dwarf signal in the yard. See first photo.
The switch stands pass the three foot rule and power the turnout frogs by use of a micro-switch  actuated by a cam on the lower half of the switch stand shaft. I first saw this method in the May/June 1984 issue of N Scale Model Railroading. The second photo shows control of a Peco and the 3rd photo  shows control of a mocked up Shinohara #4 turnout.
I have 2 Kato double crossovers, 3 #6 and 1 #4 turnouts with their own controls and I kept 1 Shinohara turnout controlled by Slo-mo-shun switch motor( Model Railroader January 1977) as  a tribute to Gordon Odegard.

Al

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:15:41 AM by alhoop »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2014, 02:07:49 AM »
David:  The changed alignment looks much better to me.

As for the railroad bridge, most of the ones I've seen here in Appalachia would be deck girders.  On the other hand, the C&O's Lexington Division in northeast Kentucky had several through girders, some of which have long outlasted the abandoned line.  Given the flood potential of the small streams here, and the low clearances in some places, that isn't surprising.  Yours seems to be high enough to use a short deck girder. 

The suggestion to use a stone arch would fit the area if the line is old enough.  In this case it would probably be more of a stone culvert, but the idea is the same, and it would be much simpler than a steel bridge on a sharp curve.  For a newer, or upgraded, line, a concrete culvert would work just as well.  Those have been common since the very early 1900s.
N Kalanaga
Be well