Author Topic: UP Heritage unit on CSX  (Read 951 times)

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
UP Heritage unit on CSX
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
Saw a report on the Railfans of the USA Facebook group that UP 1983 (WP Heritage Unit) will trail on Q740-21 today out of Bradenton, FL. This picks up an intermodal block for Philly at Jacksonville and becomes Q140-21. This puts it in the area of Philly tomorrow night. Hopefully the power stays intact for the entire journey.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: UP Heritage unit on CSX
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
Yeah, the UP heritage stuff appears to be making off-line rounds. Don't know if it's by intent or just luck of the draw in the usual HP-hour swaps.

Anyway, UP 1988 (Katy) came through Centralia (IL) last Monday on a CN northbound.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »
I wouldn't put any stock in that report.
From what my friend who is more of a railfan than anything else tells me, the person who made the report is extremely unreliable in his info.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »
Cody you are correct.  Info updated that the UP unit is not on that train.  However there are enough UP and BNSF units on trains that I should see tomorrow on CSX.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:32:40 PM by Bob Bufkin »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
Hmm. That's too bad. At least I know my report is genuine... we were parking the truck after a Lowes run, heard the horn, looked up, and... Huh? WTF??!?!? Robyn was "I didn't know UP had heritage units." "No, I never mentioned it because I thought it was sort of irrelevant here." Little did I know... :|

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
Hmm. That's too bad. At least I know my report is genuine... we were parking the truck after a Lowes run, heard the horn, looked up, and... Huh? WTF??!?!? Robyn was "I didn't know UP had heritage units." "No, I never mentioned it because I thought it was sort of irrelevant here." Little did I know... :|

I'm not sure about your area, but there has been a LOT of UP stuff on CN's line through Champaign lately.  And, by lately, I mean like the last year.  I must have missed this one, but I will see sometimes as many as 3 trains a day with all UP power, and a few other units mixed in CN consists.  About a week ago it was a who's who of class 1,  CN on the front, UP, BNSF, and a CSX, all on 1 train.  The same day, or maybe the next, it was CN and NS sharing duties.  I've asked about it once or twice and just get the 'they share locos' comment and nothing more.

Mike

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »
Yeah, practically speaking you'll see everything I see here on CN, then you get the Edgewood Cutoff traffic as well. The non-CN power has been noticeable in the past three months or so, and I'm seeing lots of ex-UP leasers. The big surprises are the all-NS lashups on CN trains. Traffic has really picked-up here on the CN - such a problem to have! - so I guess they've got to be hurting for power.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:55:39 AM »
Several weeks ago I caught two UP engines as the only power on a NS freight running southbound on the line from Middletown, OH to NS Sharon yard in Sharonville.  Surprised me to see them sitting there on the passing track.  I really must learn to take my cameral along on trips to the hardware.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566