Author Topic: Milwaukee Road Electrics - any N scale models available?  (Read 1532 times)

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Milwaukee Road Electrics - any N scale models available?
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
For a friend overseas who is interested in Milwaukee Road electrics - I'm aware of the brass imports but wondering if there is any way even a "stand in" layout quality model could be kitbashed from GG1 (or some other components). Guess what I'm looking for is "so and so made a conversion shell for a Little Joe.... or Bi-Polar."

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

thanks,

Marty

Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Milwaukee Road Electrics - any N scale models available?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
Not many options on the EP-2 at present.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31042.0

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »
Ron,

Very cool - that's quite a project you've carved out for yourself but it's looking very nice!
Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:02:01 AM »
Really, no, unless you want an expensive brass model or complicated kit.  If you want a "stand in" there are options.  Either the GG1 or one of the Kato motors can be used, with F unit parts, to make a "Littler Joe", which would at least have a family resemblance.  The GG1 would probably be a better starting point, being larger than the Kato Japanese models.  My MILW uses a Kato EF-58 stock to represent a "could have been" 1950s purchase, but I also have one with a kitbashed F-unit and sheet plastic shell.  It doesn't look as nice as my very expensive Overland brass Joe, but it does stay on the track better....
N Kalanaga
Be well

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
Either the GG1 or one of the Kato motors can be used, with F unit parts, to make a "Littler Joe", which would at least have a family resemblance.  The GG1 would probably be a better starting point, being larger than the Kato Japanese models. 

IMO the Kato E5 would be a better option for the cabs, or the likes of a LL E6 for a cheaper option.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:27 AM »
Since I don't have either one, I'll take your word that the E5/6 would be a better choice.  I had the old Bachmann cabs laying around, having used the fans for other projects, so used them. 

In my case, I've assumed that the MILW bought the EF58-lookalikes, then rebuilt one with F unit cabs, so it's a freelanced rebuild of a freelanced locomotive, with no prototype at all.  The closest would probably be the GN Y rebuilt with F cabs after a wreck.
N Kalanaga
Be well