Author Topic: drainage ditches  (Read 765 times)

kgreen

• Respect: 0
drainage ditches
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
i am in the process of carving ditches along my layout mainline.  what are some of the methods of doing this in foam.  Tks Kirk

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +2024
Re: drainage ditches
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
I carve out a vee-shaped ditch on each side of the tracks with a utility knife and then smooth it out with lightweight joint compound.

Hope this helps,
DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

kgreen

• Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
Thanks dave for your reply. Wasn't sure if it was easier to carve or burn ditches some way.  By the way I am a big admirer of the seaboard and your previous layout.  Kudos, Tks Kirk

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
I carve out a vee-shaped ditch on each side of the tracks with a utility knife...

Hmm... I use an ice
cream scooper...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

mightypurdue22

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
Similar to Dave, I use a re-purposed Cutco knife with a smooth blade.  I think it's actually called a paring knife.  It's longer than the utility knife and provides me with deeper ditches.  I usually will try to use the angle of the cork roadbed to project the angle of the ditch.  Once carved, I sand it.  I like using the premixed joint compound as well.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
I use an old steak knife with a serrated edge for most of my foam sculpting. Then take joint compound and using my finger smooth the ditch out.
Sacramento Valley NTrak