Author Topic: Generic N Scale Vehicles  (Read 5406 times)

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: Generic N Scale Vehicles
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
I can understand the music industry going after violators of copyright laws--after all they are losing millions, possibly billions of dollars in revenue. They HAD to make a stand or nearly everyone was going to be participating in it. The loss potential is huge.

Getting back to the quote I originally responded to by Baronjutter: ."...realize that we're small-fry enough that the companies most likely aren't going to go after a little niche hobby vendor."

This is where I'm at. Like I said before, until someone much bigger than myself convinces me that I shouldn't do this anymore, I'm going to continue.

Sorry for the thread drift Carter, but it seemed relevant enough to pursue.
James R. Will

Greyryder

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
Except file sharing isn't costing the music industry money. The most current data shows that file sharers tend to spend more money on music than other people. Any problems the music industry is having with flagging sales is mostly self inflicted.

Anyway.... The reason a car company might go after a small business making N scale replicas is to protect their trademark. If they don't, it can leave the door open for someone else to justify a knock off product with "They didn't do anything when so and so did it." And, as stupid as that sounds, it'll actually fly, in court.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
Except file sharing isn't costing the music industry money. The most current data shows that file sharers tend to spend more money on music than other people. Any problems the music industry is having with flagging sales is mostly self inflicted.

Exactly. The RIAA simply does not understand their own market.

The reason a car company might go after a small business making N scale replicas is to protect their trademark. If they don't, it can leave the door open for someone else to justify a knock off product with "They didn't do anything when so and so did it." And, as stupid as that sounds, it'll actually fly, in court.

Right. It's called protecting one's IP. If enough people use the same trademark and suffer no consequences, the trademark is declared abandoned. At which point anyone can legally use it with no fear of retaliation. And the design of a product, like the shape of an automobile, is no different than the name of a product--it's all IP that's protected... or not.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:34:17 PM by David K. Smith »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »
Except file sharing isn't costing the music industry money. The most current data shows that file sharers tend to spend more money on music than other people.

Current data isn't really relevant when talking about the lawsuits that happened 8-10 years ago.  Access to almost any type of music you want music is much better now.

Back in 2004, if I wanted a rare album, file sharing was the only way to get it.  Now I can get digital copies of music that never even made it to CD format in just a few key strokes.

Jason

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
Current data isn't really relevant when talking about the lawsuits that happened 8-10 years ago.  Access to almost any type of music you want music is much better now.

Back in 2004, if I wanted a rare album, file sharing was the only way to get it.  Now I can get digital copies of music that never even made it to CD format in just a few key strokes.

It is improving, yes. But the RIAA is still kind of trigger-happy. They may eventually come around to the state of things.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
i thought you guys were talking about vehicles .. not the RIAA  ... heading toward the lounge