Author Topic: N Rust Decals  (Read 8214 times)

weathering solutions

• Respect: 0
Re: N Rust Decals
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:35 AM »

weathering solutions

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 03:18:02 AM »

weathering solutions

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »

weathering solutions

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:00 AM »

weathering solutions

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 04:19:09 AM »
On the plus side it seems to be weathering your lettering behind the rust nicely.

Seems to me this may be the root of the problem.

Joe,
If it doesn't react the same way - and Lou's photos seem to bear that out - what do you recommend?

This is what I recommend for the best results. I do my fades and pre-weathering first to achieve the look I am after and  then I clear coat with either future floor wax or gloss Testors. I then use a small amount of Walthers solvaset where I am getting ready to place the decal and then slide the decal off into position.  Next I use a Q-tip and role any air bubbles out from behind the decals starting in the middle and working my way out. Once you are satisfied you have any trapped air removed I then use the solvast again to ensure the decal will soften and lay flat and look for any trapped air at this time. After your decals have dried and you are happy all trapped air is removed I then spray the model with gloss coat again. Next do any extra weathering at this time. Once you are satisfied with your looks of your model I then dull coat it. The best way I can describe to hide the edges is to spray towards the edge of the decal and the edge will create a dam and hide the thickness. I also need to explain that these are not lacquer based decals like Micro Scale or any other decal company in existence and the film will only soften and not dissolve and that is why it is removable. With this printing process lacquer film will not accept the dye used in our  process therefore please do not think this is just a typical decal.

weathering solutions

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 06:03:48 AM »
Nice writeup! Any of those wonderfully weathered cars N scale?

BTW, I might be a bit anal, but I cringe whenever someone calls Future a "floor wax"!  It is a clear acrylic floor finish. If it was a wax, it would be useless to modelers (as a clear base-coat).

. . . 42 . . .

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »
Those cylindricals are HO and the 2 bay centerflows  :facepalm: The autoracks are N I'm pretty sure but I would like to see more N with the 13 micron decal film to convince me that these will work, but thanks for letting me know to ask for the 13 micron film :D :ashat: Were the decals used on the autoracks also  :trollface: The HO stuff is awesome.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:09:11 AM by unittrain »

weathering solutions

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
Those cylindricals are HO and the 2 bay centerflows  :facepalm: The autoracks are N I'm pretty sure but I would like to see more N with the 13 micron decal film to convince me that these will work, but thanks for letting me know to ask for the 13 micron film :D :ashat: Were the decals used on the autoracks also  :trollface: The HO stuff is awesome.

I used a combination of both on the N scale autoracks. The Southern Pacific I used the HO scale roof rust. In the video there are some more N scale. I have a few N scale projects I am working on so stay tuned and just as soon as I get them done I will post some pictures.

Joe

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +262
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
By all means I am happy to send you our latest generation of decals as soon as we can custom print them for you.  Your satisfaction is what is most important here.   

Can't beat that. A new venture willing to straighten out a few hiccups.
I have used both the old and the new. While the old were more difficult to work with, I still found them manageable. You definitely had to be selective on exterior posts, etc. It took more work, but I got them to settle satisfactorily. The suggested procedure to put decal setting solution on the car before the decal did help. I used Solva-set. For the flat surfaces they worked just fine. Those rust spots are what I wanted anyway. I can weather corners and posts, etc., but not the flat surface spots. I'm not much good at streaks either.

The new version work better for sure, but I'm not tossing out the old ones. There are a ton of uses; water towers, tanks, bridges, etc. And once the two foot rule is in effect, these decals look pretty good.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
Thanks VERY much for the response and offer!   Will certainly take you up on it, since this has a lot of promise - and the artwork on your decals is out of this world in my opinion....

- Lou

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »
Got the thinner decals today from Joe - and they are fantastic....

Will post some photos when they are finished....

Thanks for the excellent customer service!

- Lou

weathering solutions

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
Got the thinner decals today from Joe - and they are fantastic....

Will post some photos when they are finished....

Thanks for the excellent customer service!

- Lou

Thanks Lou,

Can't wait to see the pictures!!

weathering solutions

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Just to let everybody know, all the old stock is now gone and we have restocked the bins with the new film.
I would also like to invite everybody to "like us" on Facebook and that way you can get all the lastest news at Weathering Solutions.

Thanks

Joe

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »
Great video and fantastic modeling! :o I'll need to try these out for sure. All the best with this venture!