Author Topic: New Airbrush Compressor--Perhaps Multi-cylinder?  (Read 2233 times)

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
Re: New Airbrush Compressor--Perhaps Multi-cylinder?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 02:01:59 AM »
Oops!  I'll have to remember that.  Most likely I'd put it on the floor anyway.

I should have been a little more detailed in my question.  The compressor is available on Amazon with around 18 reviews and I've read several where they mentioned the compressor gets hot and some where it locks up.  But it's only a couple out of the batch so there is a good possibility it's user error of some sort.  Could also be QC variances.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 03:48:10 AM »
I got a 3 gallon pancake compressor recently.  Used to use a Testors airbrush compressor, got it at the BX while still stationed in Japan.  Worked fine, however as it had no tank, the air would pulse.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
I finally ordered mine and got it last week. It is indeed quiet. Had to get an adapter at the Local Hardware Store. Seems perfect for the hobbyist. Is able to keep up to airbrushing a large surface, like a large hull. I'm pleased so far.

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
On my 39-year-old Sears tankless tabletop hobby  compressor, I drilled a tiny hole (72 gauge?) in the brass fitting that reduced the 1/4" outlet to the airbrush fitting. It relieved the pulsing, and also lessened the laboring of the compressor, which did not even have an on-off switch! The TCP compressor is much smaller, has an on-off switch, a pressure regulator, and a moisture trap, and cost less ($80) in absolute dollars than my old Sears machine ($99 in US 1975 real dollars, or $432 in 2014 dollars).

However, there is an air leak somewhere in the plumbing--not on the outlet side, which I control--that makes it cycle on and off every ten minutes or so when I am not using it. Now, that's not especially bad, and doesn't put much of a load on the compressor, and reminds me it's still alive, so I guess I won't tear it down to fix that tiny but annoying leak. I've been in factories with absolutely huge compressors that cycled every once in a while (actually, every ten minutes or so), so I guess air can just leak out no matter how tight the seal.

I'm having a lot of fun with this little machine. And it is little!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5476
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
I recently got a 3 gal oilless compress at Home Depot. It was on sale for $50, but when I got the store it said "promotion $25". Good enough for me.

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »
I can't believe I paid the equivalent of $432 for an airbrush compressor. But then I needed an airbrush compressor. It would stop me from spending $0.69 on spray cans that held one heck of a lot more paint than today.