Author Topic: The N-scale Milwaukee Little Joe is done! Is it worth the effort?  (Read 16221 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
Re: The N-scale Milwaukee Little Joe is done! Is it worth the effort?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
I might be interested, depending on the cost. And being able to get someone else to turn down wheelsets. Most folks can bend wire or learn. I don't have a lathe, and I cant justify buying one just for a one off project.

I do like the overall approach- I'd rather have a kit that takes care of the hard parts (shell, trucks) on an engine like this and having the modeler doing the final assembly.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »
It would seem that "cannot" works!  :lol:

But there must be a reason for that. I simply wanted to know the reason.  Maybe the obstacle is something I could overcome if I decided to purchase the kit.  It might simply be that the kit's designer does not want to redesign it for another mechanism (even though the redesign is possible and not very complicated).  But like I said: nevermind.
. . . 42 . . .

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
"3) It is not based on (and cannot be based on) the Kato GG1 model."

My apologies for the confusion. I thought that I was being clear, but: 
"The kit is designed" for powering using some parts from an Arnold GG1 model, not from the Kato GG1 or an SD70, U50, RSC3, or a 4-6-0.

However, it would be your kit and you could do whatever you wanted with it (and ideally you would publish an article or tell us through Railwire how you improved it). Especially how you retained the 11-inch minimum turning radius, proper pilot truck swing, coupler pivot, non-interference with the side ladders, correct wheel diameter and spacing, and close clearance between the completely new chassis and use of traction tires.

We haven't tested how many cars the loco will pull and won't test it until it is part of a two-unit powered set. 
Thank you for all the comments and positive feedback. It has been very, very informative.

This is NOT a GHQ project, but we wanted to gauge interest in having Gregg share the parts from one of his own pet projects.

Best regards,
Michael
Making decals and scratchbuilding N-scale and TT-scale models
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
I'd like a Little Joe or two, and am interested in other Milwaukee and GN electrics; more for shelf queens than anything else.  But I'd like the option of powering them somewhat easily.  The idea of scrapping around for parts on eBay is not appealing and would be a deal breaker.  I'm okay with putting it together, adding details, and painting it, but power trains and electrics are not my strong suit.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
"3) It is not based on (and cannot be based on) the Kato GG1 model."

My apologies for the confusion. I thought that I was being clear, but: 
"The kit is designed" for powering using some parts from an Arnold GG1 model, not from the Kato GG1 or an SD70, U50, RSC3, or a 4-6-0.

However, it would be your kit and you could do whatever you wanted with it (and ideally you would publish an article or tell us through Railwire how you improved it). Especially how you retained the 11-inch minimum turning radius, proper pilot truck swing, coupler pivot, non-interference with the side ladders, correct wheel diameter and spacing, and close clearance between the completely new chassis and use of traction tires.

This is NOT a GHQ project, but we wanted to gauge interest in having Gregg share the parts from one of his own pet projects.

Best regards,
Michael
Making decals and scratchbuilding N-scale and TT-scale models

It is not you Michael - you did not cause a misunderstanding. It was me, and few others after me, who questioned using an ancient mechanism, when an equivalent state-of the art mechanism is readily available.

If the price is reasonable, I would be interested in adding this kit to my pile of to-do projects.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1709
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »
For the record.  I would be in for one depending on price.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:56 AM »
Ditto. I loves me some MILW electrics!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
 :|      First of all let me say Gregg has done wonderful work. The Arnold GG1 drive can be improved some, I owned a first gen one which I sold, then bought the next gen (improved paint scheme) which I still have,work on the gears does make it some what better. It hasn't been run for years though,a stored in box queen. As a Milwaukee closet fanzee the Box Cabs interest me, I already own the Overland Brass Joe from a few years back. A number of years ago GHQ was going to do a body kit for  the one Great Northern Box Cab that was re built to a streamlined loco with FT noses after being wrecked. I put my $50.00 deposit down for one,would have used a Tomix or Kato drive ,not enough demand for this so my deposit was returned. I' am still considering building one usuing a Tomix drive and splicing together Kato F-3 bodies which use to be available in GN colors. Nate Goodman (Nato), Salt Lake, Utah.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +576
    • My train pics
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »
Michael, that LJ is hot! I'm a closet MILW fan only, so no need for one, though it makes one think about it...

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Chicago, South Shore and South Bend also owned three of these locomotives.
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
A number of years ago GHQ was going to do a body kit for  the one Great Northern Box Cab that was re built to a streamlined loco with FT noses after being wrecked. I put my $50.00 deposit down for one,would have used a Tomix or Kato drive ,not enough demand for this so my deposit was returned. I' am still considering building one usuing a Tomix drive and splicing together Kato F-3 bodies which use to be available in GN colors. Nate Goodman (Nato), Salt Lake, Utah.

I gotta ask where GHQ advertised to gauge interest?   GHQ's marketing department must whisper these ideas to the wind.  I also have to ask - are you talking about the Little Joe E78 (rebuilt with EMD components after an accident) or the Great Northern Y1a, (a wrecked boxcab built with FT cabs on each end)?  Or maybe a streamlined EP1?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1593
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
I gotta ask where GHQ advertised to gauge interest?   GHQ's marketing department must whisper these ideas to the wind.  I also have to ask - are you talking about the Little Joe E78 (rebuilt with EMD components after an accident) or the Great Northern Y1a, (a wrecked boxcab built with FT cabs on each end)?  Or maybe a streamlined EP1?

He advertised the GN Y1 and Y1A in N-Scale magazine.
Andrew Hegstad

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 05:53:49 AM »
Love the demand for instant payment at auction's end. I work nights, I pay when I'm home and awake. I suppose I do envy those with nothing to do but sit at the computer with huge piles of money to throw away.
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
If this wasn't such an involved kit, I would be interested in one, if only to do a "what if" engine as though some had actually gotten delivered to the Soviet Union.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.