Author Topic: Detailing Parts for N-scale locos (including handrails)  (Read 16706 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Detailing Parts for N-scale locos (including handrails)
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
Ed, I cringe as most people mention what pressures they use for airbrushing N scale models.  My technique is to use much lower pressure.  I rarely go over 20 psi!  Usually around 15.  I control the paint volume with the needle opening.  I also hold the airbrush rather close to the model (around 4")  I hate wasting paint by spraying it in the air around the model!   :D

I build up the paint in the same spraying session. I start with a light coat, then I spray wet coats.  If I don't get the needed coverage in a single session, I let the model dry and then spray another wet coat later.

I use a Badger 200 (single action internal mix airbrush with IIRC medium tip).
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
A long-overdue update.  The model is finally out of the paint shop and decaling is under way.  At this point the paint looks very bright but the upcoming clear flat coat and weathering will tone that down considerably.  This silver is the TCP Aluminum which goes on much better than the Badger paint.  The grilles are hand-painted with Model Master Engine Gray (straight black would look too stark).

IMG_1629.jpg

And here is the model with the handrail subassembly temporarily set into place.  It's kanda hard to see in the pic since the paint is so  reflective. This still needs some ATSF yellow on the step handrails and the step edges.

IMG_1634.jpg

Here is the chassis with the decoder installed.  On the side that was ground down to accommodate the full-depth air tanks, I replaced the factory pickup strip with some 0.015" phosphor bronze wire with small strips of sheet PB soldered onto the ends so that the can contact the pickup strips on the trucks.  I've tested this with the decoder and it seems to run as well as the original parts.

IMG_1627.jpg

Once I finish up the decals, then I can go ahead and get those handrails painted and installed!

Ed
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:04:14 AM by ednadolski »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »
How did I ever miss this thread until now!? Unbelievable modeling! Best kitbashing and detailing work I've ever seen, hands down! :o

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1868
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2015, 11:37:50 PM »
Ed,
I've got four Dash 9's sitting on the bench waiting for upgrades, are your detail sets available for purchase yet?
Thanks,
Karl
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
Karl I thank you for your interest but to be honest this project is pretty much an R&D kind of thing and more work is needed before it can start looking like anything that folks would be happy with.  For now I am revising the drawings and proceeding on a "best effort" basis.

Ed

Seligman Sub

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
Do you have a pic showing the tank mods assembled side on?  That detail part (or lack thereof) has always bothered me so I'm eager to see what yours looks like

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 01:05:33 AM »
GE-style cut levers, hand-made from 0.005" SS wire.  Shown here next to a similar part from an FVM GEVO.   Three individual wire pieces that hook together.  Took me several evenings to get one useable set. Yes, this is insane.  :ashat:

IMG_1681.jpg

Ed
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:06:35 AM by ednadolski »

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1188
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Those handrails do indeed look superb.  One of my biggest pet-peeves in N has been the concession to handrail size.  Kudos!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »
Three individual wire pieces that hook together.  Took me several evenings to get one useable set. Yes, this is insane.  :ashat:

Looks great though!  This coming from someone who paints and ballasts track at the rate of 3 hours per foot (on a good day)....  ;)

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
This coming from someone who paints and ballasts track at the rate of 3 hours per foot (on a good day)....  ;)

The trickiest thing with making small wire parts is getting a good grip, to keep them from flying off into the ether.  Even with the precision tweezers I end up with more parts in my carpet than on the model  :facepalm:

Ed

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
Looks great though!  This coming from someone who paints and ballasts track at the rate of 3 hours per foot (on a good day)....  ;)

Yeah, I'm going to ask you about that...

The trickiest thing with making small wire parts is getting a good grip, to keep them from flying off into the ether. 

Looks good Ed.  You are solving the biggest reason why I like the look of HO locos better.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1868
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
Ed,
Any updates on your project?
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
It's in the run queue, tho a bit starved for 'processor time' at this point  ;).   My hope is that finishing up on the turnout project and P:48 GP9 in the near future I should be able to get back to this.

Ed

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »
+1
... finishing up on the .... P:48 GP9 in the near future ...
Yes! I wanna see that!
Lennart

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Finally finished this unit, pics here in this thread:  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=39361.msg480564#msg480564

Ed