Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/16/14  (Read 11376 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 2/16/14
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 2/16/14
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »

Cool!  We have a true N scale image in the title post!  Is that a thumbnail?

EDIT: nevermind - looks like Google caught up and displayed a full-size image.
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »
Cool!  We have a true N scale image in the title post!  Is that a thumbnail?

EDIT: nevermind - looks like Google caught up and displayed a full-size image.

Haha , twas not a Google error , it was a my error .

Richie Dost

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »
Well I haven't had much to share modeling-wise so far this year.  My time has been spent on articles and their accompanying videos and getting my desktop computer rebuilt.  That and getting the layout ready for its first ops session in 6 months.

Things changed this week with the arrival of custom parts for the Farr creek bridge - the last major bridge to be built. 

The prototype was put in place over a hundred years ago and used for 80 years.  It is a pin connected truss bridge of unique design with the links and pins salvaged from an original crossing of the Bow river in Calgary. Here is a shot of the still standing prototype.

The model is compressed 30% in height and length but is still over 250' scale feet long.  I began by soldering up the frame from telescopic brass tubing. 

Here is a shot with some of the etched links and girders in place as a trial fit.  The tolerances need to be very tightly held or the links will bow...not much room for error so the pin holes were drilled to a spacing accuracy of 1/100 mm on a knee mill.  The model will have nearly 300 links.

To the frame I added girder side fames from Micro engineering. 

And the rocker bents were constructed from Central Valley and ME parts, and parts cut from Evergreen styrene.  The rivet decals are from Micromark.

Next week I hope to add the ties and get the etched parts finished and ready for assembly.  The laser cut cross-members should appear sometime next week as well.

Have a great weekend!

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:57:33 PM »
Finished my D78bR diner.  Finally no more hungry passengers and a prototypical PRR diner.  No, not a full interior, but just enough to get an idea through the windows.  This is a brass car from the Oriental 1938 Broadway Limited set.  I repainted and letter the car for post-war service.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:20:46 AM »
Good start on the bridge, Mark.

Not a lot of modelling time for me either lately, but I have managed to complete assembly of panel track car BCOL 6510, including bunks for the track panels and fencing for miscellaneous supplies:

I have left off the brake wheel and the end ladders for now as the end top header plates are actually tread plate, and they need to be primed and glossed in preparation for the application of Archer decals.

I also assembled the seven track panels which will comprise the primary deck load for this car, using Fast Tracks ties and Code 40 rail:

These are now waiting for the arrival of joint bars from Proto 87 Stores, which have to be added to each rail at one end, painting of the rails, and chain to keep them together. 

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:59:25 AM »
Cloud 9
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
New casting from SkytopModels  :D

Milwaukee Road shops built 1947 coach

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
Your a lucky man grabbing that diner Doug
Looks good!
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
Looking great with that bridge Mark.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »
Some fine modelling gentlemen; the dining car interior is very nicely done, Tim's MOW fleet efforts leave me wonering if the BCR will have any funds left for revenue cars and Prof. Denton's tugging at my wallet yet again..... That bridge project of Mark's is well beyond my ability to contemplate let alone execute so I will have to settle living vicariously through Weekend Update.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
Cloud 9

Mark W-  you have more work to do- 26 more stage coaches.  1868 shipment of Abbott & Downing stage coaches from Concord, NH to Wells Fargo in Omaha, NE.

Nice work and video.

Doug Nelson

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »
Mark W-  you have more work to do- 26 more stage coaches.  1868 shipment of Abbott & Downing stage coaches from Concord, NH to Wells Fargo in Omaha, NE.

Nice work and video.

Doug Nelson

That photo is the direct inspiration behind the stagecoach flats! :D  Eventually I'll have the full unit train. 

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »
I finally wrote up how Hagerstown became York in my basement.
http://conrail1285.com/news.asp?storyid=85

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »
Well I haven't had much to share modeling-wise so far this year.  My time has been spent on articles and their accompanying videos and getting my desktop computer rebuilt.  That and getting the layout ready for its first ops session in 6 months.

Things changed this week with the arrival of custom parts for the Farr creek bridge - the last major bridge to be built. 

The prototype was put in place over a hundred years ago and used for 80 years.  It is a pin connected truss bridge of unique design with the links and pins salvaged from an original crossing of the Bow river in Calgary. Here is a shot of the still standing prototype.

The model is compressed 30% in height and length but is still over 250' scale feet long.  I began by soldering up the frame from telescopic brass tubing. 

Here is a shot with some of the etched links and girders in place as a trial fit.  The tolerances need to be very tightly held or the links will bow...not much room for error so the pin holes were drilled to a spacing accuracy of 1/100 mm on a knee mill.  The model will have nearly 300 links.

To the frame I added girder side fames from Micro engineering. 

And the rocker bents were constructed from Central Valley and ME parts, and parts cut from Evergreen styrene.  The rivet decals are from Micromark.

Next week I hope to add the ties and get the etched parts finished and ready for assembly.  The laser cut cross-members should appear sometime next week as well.

Have a great weekend!

md

Mark,

That bridge will be amazing.  Did you have all of those parts etched based on your own drawings?  How did you come up with accurate enough dimensions?  I have a plan to build the Niagara Canyon bridge on Vancouver Island at some point.  It pin connected as well but much larger.  I'm not sure it'll ever happen but I'm still interested in your construction and design.  I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks, Craig