Author Topic: Former NH Alco C-425  (Read 4056 times)

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
Former NH Alco C-425
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:35:14 AM »
Hi
How many half finished Alcos is too many?  Running a motel isn't conducive to quality time for detail work.  But it's great for seeing what can be done with the parts I have left over.  Many years ago Laura had a cab ride in Livonia Avon & Lakeville C-425 # 425, while I followed by car to shoot video.  The 425 is a former New Haven, non-dynamic brake C-425.  What is the easiest way to build the 425?

I have a Briggs C-425 kit, which is great for a dynamic braked C-425, and that is earmarked for D&M 1280.  But there is another option.  The Atlas C-628 shell, is really close for a relatively simple kitbash.  All that is really required is the dynamic brake/steam generator compartment to be removed, and a scale foot or so to be removed behind the radiator, and the length of the hood is perfect.  This will replace the long hood on a Life-Like C-424.  With the same modifications to the under cab area for the Atlas cab and short hood, as used on my GBW 321 kitbash, you end up with this:

I removed the fuel tank bulges as per the prototype, and added the air tanks from the C-628, after cutting them from the C-628 fuel tank.  As a bonus, the Penn Central shell I had, also had the shield over the central air intake.

It will be a while before I get to the detail stage of this, as it is well down my "to do" list, but I thought it may motivate others to give it a go.  Brian, are you still wanting a NH C-425?

Cheers
Steve

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Former NH Alco C-425
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:17:04 AM »
As the LAL and WNY&P are on my "to-do" list this is very interesting to me.  I have the LL C424's but looks like I should stock up on a few more Atlas C628 shells and cabs!  The to-do list gets longer and longer.  :o

Thanks Steve!
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
This is good to know.  I was going to use a Briggs shell, but this might be a better option.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
you got my attention I've been wanting to model a Conrail paint out of a PC former NH unit for quite a while! You do excellent work producing top quality models of Alco's we need badly. Will look forward to seeing how you do this. 8)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »
I did this with cab from C-628, on LL NH C-424 shell. Albeit, not as accurate as what's shown in this post.
 Joe D

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
I did this with cab from C-628, on LL NH C-424 shell. Albeit, not as accurate as what's shown in this post.
 Joe D

Looks awesome to me, I just purchased the horizontal headlight C628 cab on ebay so a project has begun!

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
ok Steve, I copied your photo.
I was going to look into doing this after the train show season ended.
How would a D/B brake unit work for say D&M 181? :drool:
It's hard to come up with the money for a Brigg's kit, but my group here in Michigan orders from Atlas fairly regularly!

unittrain

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
Here is the unit I want to model the lead unit seen here #2454 I think it is non dynamic brake. This is a cool early conrail all alco lashup! 8) http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=16744&nseq=6

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »

How does that work, applying the weathering before you paint it?  :trollface: :ashat:

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »
Steve,

With all the kitbash to make this model from which what I see looks really sweet, would it be OK then to use the Atlas C420 Chassis? Does it have the same bolster spacing?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
It will be a while before I get to the detail stage of this, as it is well down my "to do" list, but I thought it may motivate others to give it a go.  Brian, are you still wanting a NH C-425?

I am, but I can build one following your outline above.  It also isn't at the top of my "to do" list as far as motive power goes.  I'm going to try to concentrate on some electrics when I get back to that aspect of modeling.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. 
Firstly, sorry Bryan for spelling your name wrong.

Joe, that's a nice looking Alco, and sharp paint job.

Fred, the Briggs kit is really perfect for the D&M rebuilds.  The air intake screen in the kit will end up looking like the real ones with little effort, whereas using the Atlas C-628 as a starting point, you'd need to add new intakes.  The dynamic brakes can come from Atlas as well.  The C-420 part is very good, but the hard part is cutting the 3 hood openings on each side of the hood.  Doing one each side is easy, but 3 that look identical!    Look forward to seeing your model take shape.  What are you planning for decals?

Mike, the weathering affect is due to the removal of the Penn Central paint, , but seriously, there is a painting method used by aircraft modelers, where you apply some weathering features first.  I think it's called layering.  It's very effective in highlighting seams, doors and panels, anywhere you are looking to show depth.

Brian, the C-420 has a bolster centre length of 34'-6", whereas the C-424 is 32'-6".  If an Atlas chassis is preferred, it could be done using a GP-30/35 chassis with type B trucks, I think someone has done this to make a Milw/SOO GP-30 on Alco trucks.

For further ideas at how to model C-425's, take another look at CNW Mike's superb model:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?148470-Phase-II-C425-progress

Good luck with building your Alco's. 
Cheers
Steve

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »
Fred, the Briggs kit is really perfect for the D&M rebuilds.  The air intake screen in the kit will end up looking like the real ones with little effort, whereas using the Atlas C-628 as a starting point, you'd need to add new intakes.  The dynamic brakes can come from Atlas as well.  The C-420 part is very good, but the hard part is cutting the 3 hood openings on each side of the hood.  Doing one each side is easy, but 3 that look identical!    Look forward to seeing your model take shape.  What are you planning for decals?

In looking at the C424 picture, I'm wondering if it would be easier to take the D/B section with the vents off of the C424 and splice them into the C628 shell, instead of cutting new vents.

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »
Lol!  :facepalm: That would work.  It would look a bit like this:

Cheers
Steve

mandealco

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
Hi
If you are wanting to build an accurate C-424 or C-425, check photos of your prototype.  Although the above would create a close resemblance to what is wanted, there are lots of variations to doors and other details.  Fortunately Atlas parts can provide for most of these variations.  Check the doors below the central air intakes, the height of the doors below and in front of the engine air intakes and the shape of the extra width panel immediately below the radiator on the C-425.  Fortunately the Briggs and Atlas shells cover most of the variations.  The Atlas C-628 phases have the different door heights below the engine air intakes. 

There are also different phases of C-424/425.  Early models had different handrail mountings to the Like-Like models, but the atlas C-420 phases cover both.  Early versions also had the battery boxes incorporated into the cab steps, with late models having the battery boxes under the LHS rear walkway, these ones also having both air tanks on the RHS.

The Atlas air tanks can easily be attached to the underside of the Life-Like walkways.

Just some info to make an easy project more difficult!  As I mentioned above, check out CNW Mike's awesome C-425, he gives some great info on how he built it.

Cheers
Steve