Author Topic: I can't see my decals  (Read 3323 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Re: I can't see my decals
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
Good to know about the Naptha.

The marker I used was permanent. It did not soak into the decal it made the decals bond to the paper too strong and caused me to damage the decals when I tried to remove them. I don't remember the brand of marker. Not a sharpie. The decals were micro scale.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 04:23:32 AM »
Good to know about the Naptha.

The marker I used was permanent. It did not soak into the decal it made the decals bond to the paper too strong and caused me to damage the decals when I tried to remove them. I don't remember the brand of marker. Not a sharpie. The decals were micro scale.

Interesting. I thought that all Microscale decals were printed on blue-colored decal paper (with clear film only under each piece of the decal).
. . . 42 . . .

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Try 3D glasses.....

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
Interesting. I thought that all Microscale decals were printed on blue-colored decal paper (with clear film only under each piece of the decal).

Both of your statements are correct.

Craig

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 08:08:32 PM »

Both of your statements are correct.

Craig

So, are the images you cannot see also colored light blue?  Or are they white, but they still don't show up well against the blue background?  In either case, very strong lighting and a magnifier (like Optivisor with a #7 plate) should, IMO, allow you to see the details you need to see.
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
Hey.  Resurrecting an oldish thread here but I'm still doing decals and have yet to tackle this issue.

I tried alcohol.  If you apply it to the back of the paper it has the desired effect.  If you get some on the front where the art is it reacts with the ink and you can wipe it away, so....   Alcohol is fine but don't get it on the front.

With that risk being present I'm interested in trying Naptha.  Can anyone lead to a source in Canada?  I've read that others use Coleman Camp fuel for other projects, like woodworking, that require Naptha but I can't find it is pure, or pure enough, not to have a bunch of additives that will ruin my decals. 

Peteski, I looked for the brand you suggested but could find it.  You also mentioned Zippo fluid having Naptha but didn't directly say to use it for this.  Do you think it would be an option.

Answering your question, the images are white on the blue back ground, it's just that the blue is so light I can't see what the printing says. 

Craig

Finally, someone else asked

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 11:15:01 PM »
Craig,
have you asked for it at a local hardware store. True Value hardware stores order chemicals for me they usually don't carry.  It is called in US "Varnish Makers & Painters Naphtha" (or VM&P Naphtha).

Lighter fluid looks like this

As you can see it states what it is made of and also mention that it has other uses.

Another lighter fluid woudl be Zippo Lighter fluid.  I never tried that one.

Either way, if you end up with lighter fluid, place drop of it on a smooth surface (like polished metal or glass) and let it evaporate.  If it fully evaporates, it is good - if there is an oily residue, it is not pure naphtha - don't use it.
. . . 42 . . .

Greyryder

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:01 AM »
Zippo fluid should be just as good. Back in the day,I used to use it to clean the head on my cassette decks. Rubbing alcohol always seemed to leave a slight residue. Zippo fluid never did.

Apparently, you can get large containers of naphtha sold as lighter fluid from hardware stores. A naphtha bath is commonly used used to clean felt hats. I've seen where people on the Fedora Lounge forums have gotten large rectangular metal cans of the stuff.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55:16 AM »
Zippo fluid should be just as good. Back in the day,I used to use it to clean the head on my cassette decks. Rubbing alcohol always seemed to leave a slight residue. Zippo fluid never did.

Apparently, you can get large containers of naphtha sold as lighter fluid from hardware stores. A naphtha bath is commonly used used to clean felt hats. I've seen where people on the Fedora Lounge forums have gotten large rectangular metal cans of the stuff.

Yes, this is the hardware stuff we have been mentioning.
. . . 42 . . .

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
A couple of other suggestions:

- use a magnifier, that may help

- view with strong light source from a different angle

- try different type of marker such as a highlighter

Doug.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »
Excellent,

Thanks everyone.

I have tried a magnifier and strong light source.  I'm going to try some of my kids' washable markers and I'll do the lighter fluid test on glass.

Oh, and I wasn't rejoicing that someone finally answered, I was about to answer someones previous question but forgot to finish the sentence.  Oops.

You guys are awesome.

Craig

PROPULDUDE

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »
Try using a blacklight..We used them on Satellites to find Fod, Fingerprints, smears, smudges, dust. The ink will jump out as it refracts differently than the decal paper.